Converting A/C car to A/C heater delete

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
So what parts do I need to convert my 64 A/C car to "delete" and have a vent on the passenger side? Drivers' side already has one with a cable.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Isn't the passenger side controlled by vacuum on the AC controls? If so, keep the AC controls and get rid of everything else, or find a vacuum switch that can open and close that circuit.

63409impala

Well Known Member
I did this delete on my car. I just use the driver side vent and crank the vent windows all the way open.

63409impala

Well Known Member
I also made a pattern to block off the evaporator inside the passenger wheelwell, and found a firewall block off plate on ebay

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
"I also made a pattern to block off the evaporator inside the passenger wheelwell, and found a firewall block off plate on ebay "

Kind of what I was planning.

I saw a passenger side vent and cble listed for a 63 in one catalog is there a difference in the 64?

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Phil looking at pictures on the internet looks like the heater box attaches on the passenger side, so if a heater no passenger vent? Been too long since I had my non A/C 64 to remember. Alos a big hole in the cowl besides where the A/C box attached.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Here's a couple photos of my 63 firewall. I'm quite sure 64 is the same. Then a photo of the vent housing, which is plastic on 62, 63 and I believe 64. The is a passenger vent on non a/c cars. The heater box doesn't reach over to the kick panel on the inside, a crappy picture of my 62 inside. 62 and 63 have cardboard kick panels and metal grills. 64 has plastic kick panels and may have the grills as part of the plastic, I can't remember now.
20200705_192618.jpg20200705_192557.jpg20200705_192328.jpg20200705_192429.jpgIMG_20200706_065906.jpg

Last edited:

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Thanks Jim I meant to get pictures of it at the shop yesterday but got distracted. I'll be out Wed. I have a much larger hole and I want to think the area where the round hole is is totally different.

Got a nice complete A/C heater box in Houston if some one needs one!

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So when installing after market A/C both those holes are blocked off with delete plates?
While my motor is out, now is the time for me to cover them.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
"So when installing after market A/C both those holes are blocked off with delete plates? "

I was wondering that too if I decide to go that route.

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On a '58 Impala, what kind of grill that covers the smaller hole on the left side? Does anybody have a picture of that grill or have an extra one?
I'll make a delete plate for the heater hole then drill the firewall connector fittings when I install an A/C-Heat unit.

20200705_192618-jpg.83880

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Here are the holes, actually 4 holes if you count the one into the cowl and 3rd one from the inside kick panel . Last one how we zip tied the core support on the pull it and the fenders out of the interior to haul it!

Attachments

• DSC_0367.JPG
    DSC_0367.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0366.JPG
    DSC_0366.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0360.JPG
    DSC_0360.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0368.JPG
    DSC_0368.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0369.JPG
    DSC_0369.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 11

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gotcha.
The blower motor isn't used when installing an after market AC/Heat unit so I'll blank off that hole or fabricate a vent screen to allow fresh air in thru the vent (?)
Thx