Converting power brakes to manual brakes.

63409impala

Well Known Member
Just like the title states. I'm converting my 63 to manual brakes from power brakes. What all do I need to do? Was planning on using a factory single pot master cylinder. What all is needed? Thank you in advance!.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I believe the push rod would be different. The manual master will have a deeper hole in the piston, so the push rod won't fall out of the piston when you let off the brakes.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
All original power brake and manual brake push rods have threaded adjustment rods at the end at the brake pedal
The power brake rod has a round end with a hole and the non power brake push rod uses the rounded end of the rod to push the master cylinder. You need the standard brake push rod with the master cylinder.
I have about 10 of the standard brake push rods.
Paul

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I bought my Dual master cylinder from Rock Auto when I changed my 60 Impala from power to no power for the same reasons you are, that and low vacuum from a cam swap. Others are correct on using the dual. If your not doing a restoration the dual master may save your life or at least some sheet metal.