Converting standard 1962 impala to SS

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here is Ebert's Site It looks like the trim is $1800. I hoped it would be less than $1k.. maybe Ill have to stick with my old pieces for now. I could have sworn I saw a set for $800 somewhere last year. How times change.. Thanks guys..

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Keep an eye open at sales and auctions I got a real nice set of ss side trim at an auction for I think under 200 and the original anodizing still looks awesome on it.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Wow Paul. Didn't realize it was so expensive. I could have sworn that I saw someplace a 6 piece side set for about $700.00. This didn't include the tail light panel. I'm not even sure they have a repo for that. Mine is very nice driver quality and I'm thinking about replacing the sides one day, but I think I'm going to be a while longer. Just wondering Paul, if the SS tail light panel can be restored at $40.00 per foot??? Thanks, Carmine.
NO.......the trunk panel can not be restored. The repository are better than NOS.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The only other option to the restored original SS side trim(after adding new metal inserts) is to find nice shinny original SS side trim or even Impala side trim that can have the metal inserts added. Nice shinny original Impala side chrome (aluminum ) are also not easy to find. The metal SS side trim inserts are added to Impala trim by using double sided 3M tape

Some guys I have seen have found a way to strip the anodizing off the long side trim and then polish and straighten the trim. The work to polish and straighten and remove scratches in any aluminum trim is not easy. Then the trim has to be cleared (or it will discolor) or sent out to be anodozied like the original trim

The reproduction SS side trim cost was around $ 600. I have seen the repro SS side trim -it does not look good.....
I think it has "tape" SS inserts which is not original and is poor quality
Note that the actual trim was "not even anodized" like the original aluminum trim and the notes about quality of the reproduction pieces "on this link". Now I see its even discontinued at Ecklers:
http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-...t-impala-ss-hardtop-and-convertible-1962.html

See the notes on it at Classic Industries on the reproduction SS side trim:
http://www.classicindustries.com/product/1962/impala/parts/b9214ss.html

For the trunk panels with the SS swirl - I do not know of anyone that restores them.
The three 62 SS trunk panel pieces(with the factory swirls) and Impala trunk panels are being made reproduction and sold by Scott G. in Des Monies, Iowa. He has been making them for over 15 years (he also makes 63 and 64 SS panels and inserts and other Chevy trim). He has a machine to cut the correct swirls in the SS panels and SS inserts
These new SS and Impala trunk and cove panels are in my opinion as good as NOS trunk panels & coves or even better than NOS trunk panels
They are only sold to dealers to sell to the public. The prices from various dealers in SS and Impala trunk and cove panels vary widely from what I have seen.

This vendor has some of the best prices on the 1962 Impala SS trunk panel pieces(3 pieces) :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1962-Chevrolet-Chevy-Impala-SS-Rear-Trunk-Deck-Panel-Molding-Swirl-
Metal-/391774107521?hash=item5b378e7781:g:mEIAAOSwNuxXZivs&vxp=mtr

I have purchased at least 5 - SS and Impala trunk panels (all three pieces) from this vendor over the years for me and for some friends.

Paul

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Hi Carmine, I hope you enjoy your car and don't worry about what others think about not being an original SS, having a 409 (even a non-original one) is where the value is. I'm glad you're not replacing your cowl tag because to do so would be dishonest, but upgrading and not mis-representing anything is fine by me. I have a hobby of decoding 1962 full size cowl tags and decode a lot of tags for people that genuinely believed that their car was an SS because it said so on the cowl tag, but they didn't realise that the tag was a reproduction. The crooks that do mis-represent Impalas as SS buy repop tags that usually have the correct code for a bucket seat interior, but not have the correct plant code for an SS. In 1962, each plant used different ACC codes for SS, some plants used a Trim code and some plants didn't use any code at all to denote an SS - just the trim code. Unfortunately, these poor people are often disappointed that their car isn't an original SS, but from what I've seen, a non-genuine SS doesn't usually affect it's value anyway, it all comes down to the car's condition. Who would want a genuine SS rust bucket when they could buy a really nice clone SS?

I also collect information on Anniversary gold 62's and I don't think I have already got details on yours. Have I ever asked for a photo of your cowl tag? If not, can you pm me with your cowl tag or email me at csnelling@bigpond.com.au Plus one last thing, there was no SS horn emblem in 1962, that was a 63 thing. Doesn't make any difference to you but others might not realise.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Funny thing you mentioned that SS horn emblem. That emblem was the only thing I thought was lacking from doing a complete SS clone. I never understood why for $15.00, he didn't complete the project. He spent a lot of money on other SS parts, I know that. So, I thought I would finish it, not knowing until now, it wasn't original for the year. I bought it at Hubbards and they advertise it for '62-'63 Super Sports. I bought it in good faith thinking it was period correct. They really shouldn't advertise it the way they did. Can be misleading and false to the novice such as myself. I like it and I'm going to keep it there, but probably wouldn't have bought it knowing otherwise.

I'll try and get you a photo of the cowl tag. Might be difficult because I think the power brake drum might cover up a lot of it. I am positive though, that it began it's life as an Anniversary Gold car. I like that color and wish he would have left it. I'm not about to change it back.
I re-read your thread and feel bad for people who get cheated thinking they are buying and possibly paying top dollar, for something it's not. I couldn't do that. Honestly is the best policy. At least with mine, I knew from the start it was a clone. No surprises or regrets. The car is super solid. All original metal. I did well, Carmine.

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hello everyone! Im getting ready to drill the holes for the rocker trim since the rockers were replaced and they are smooth with no holes. Are the holes roughly the same spacing as those on the fender? If not, how far apart are the clip fastener holes? Thanks

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a template + l don't have my rocker moldings installed on my 62 SS restoration. I will check the spacing
on my original holes. You have the fender and 1/4 panel holes ?
Paul

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Paul, actually, the 1/4 panels were replaced as well so, no I dont have the holes on those either.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I will check tomorrow, we had a storm last night -lost some tree branches -so cleaning up.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here are the measurements for the rockers and 1/4 panels;
All factory hole sizes are 3/8 inch. I suggest a string line to check that the holes are level.

3 each - rocker panel holes -measured from the front edge of the rocker:
  • 5 -3/8 inches -1st hole
  • 21 -1/2 inches -2nd hole from the front of the rocker
  • 38 inches - 3rd hole from the front of the rocker
2 each - 1/4 panel holes - I measured from the 3rd rocker hole since the curved wheel opening did not provide a good fixed measurement location.
  • from the 3rd rocker hole = 15 -1/8 inches
  • from the previous 1/4 panel hole - 16 -1/8 inches (this hole is roughly 1 -5/8 inches from the wheel opening -this hole has to go through 3 panels.
NOTES
  1. Note that the fender holes (not measured on this) and the rear 1/4 panel holes next to wheel opening had oval/round mounting clips and studs with hex nuts on them(they are not reproduced).
  2. I have found some repro end clips with studs and nuts that should work -like these ----http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-pcs-body-moulding-trim-clips-black-nuts-for-2-3-4-wide-moulding-GM-NOS/201551493520?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
  3. The template I have shows all the holes to be 1 -3/4 inches off the bottom of the rocker (to the center of the holes)
  4. I measured my holes they all appear to be 1 -1/2 inches off the bottom edge of the rocker(to the center of the holes)
  5. Note that 62 rocker moldings are supposed have the bottom edge of the rocker flush with the bottom edge of the rocker molding.
Paul

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Excellent detailed response Paul. Thank You. I hope people can visit this thread for years to come and benefit from your detailed responses. You are truly an asset to the site and to the hobby as a whole.

I purchased a set of the clips you linked to, even though my rocker trim came with clips, these are better Im sure.

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My next question is a multi part question. I want the interior lights to come on when I open the doors. The door light switches need to be replaced. I searched ebay but I sure dont know which ones are the correct ones or if my car even has the correct ones to go by. Can someone point me to the right ones?

Next, I would also like to get the center console rear light working. Did it also come on when the doors were opened? Did the console have an inner light in the box itself?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The switches on the door jambs, near the upper door hinge, control the lights under the dash, the lights on the interior rear 1/4 area -both sides, by the package tray. They also control the SS console light on SS cars

All 1962 Impala SS cars had SS console with a light in the back of the console for the back seat. The console is connected with a console wiring harness(sold reproduction by American Autowire) run off a circuit breaker on the cardboard kick panel behind the cardboard kick panel that has the drivers side fresh air vent on the cardboard. This circuit breaker also connects Power Seat and Power window wiring to those items. Finally the kick panel circuit breaker connects to the power wire for convertibles to run the power top.
I have pictures of the circuit breaker switch and SS console wiring.

Here is a NOS 58 to 62 switch:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-GM-1958...ash=item3adc5b41f3:g:9XoAAOSw2gxYwX1P&vxp=mtr

here is another style NOS door jamb switch (both types were used on 62's (I have both types in used original door jamb switches)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Tem...ash=item4b13a491cf:g:I7QAAOSwXYtYyAlu&vxp=mtr

Here is a reproduction switch - with repro parts their fit (in the factory hole in the door jambs) and operation can be questionable --
http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-size-chevy-door-jamb-dome-light-switch-1958-1962.html

The factory wiring harness for the tailights and the back of the car has white wires in the harness for the door jamb switches (on Impalas).
Note that factory 1962 Impala's(and other years 61 to 64) have under dash courtesy lights in the left and right bottom corners of the dash. Belairs and Biscaynes did not normally come with the courtesy lights.

Paul

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
G'day Paul, I thought the under dash courtesy lights were part of the comfort and convenience option, which included those lights, 2-speed wipers, day/night r/v mirror and trunk light???

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The options are:
  • original 59 to 62 chevys came with Tuxedo loop carpet (sometimes called salt and pepper)
  • there are other types of carpet sold that are not original -such as cut pile carpet, loop carpet, 80/20 loop carpet.
  • If the carpet does not have the Tuxedo name its not original
  • Tuxedo carpet has black specs(loops) in the primary color -for example red and black Tuxedo loop carpet , blue and black Tuxedo loop carpet and the other factory colors in 62.
  • all the carpet comes molded to fit the floor pan correctly (if its not molded carpet it will not fit correctly.)
  • I buy my carpet from Trim Parts in Ohio or through someone who sells the original tuxedo carpet made by Trim Parts for better prices. Cars Inc sells the carpet --
  • so does Ecklers Late Great Chevys (check to make sure its tuxedo...) http://www.lategreatchevy.com/full-...-tuxedo-80-20-loop-convertible-1961-1962.html
  • The Trim Parts carpet is made in the USA. Original Tuxedo carpet does cost about $30 more than just non stock loop carpet in red for example
  • Ciadella Interiors has Tuxedo carpet -here is a link to Ciadella's description of Tuxedo carpet - move the interior link down to the carpet descriptions -one for "loop carpet" and one for "Tuxedo/salt & pepper " : carpet. http://www.ciadellainteriors.com/products.php
Paul