Cool factory body drop picture

Bob Core

Well Known Member
IMG_1646.JPG Not sure which plant, but it looks like a special fleet order body (taxi cab?) being dropped. I enjoy looking at these for originality clues; this one is a little different.

A couple of other details: first, the radiator support is already in place and hoses installed on the next-up chassis. That's usually assembled into the doghouse, which is dropped as a unit. Second, it looks like they shot the assembled chassis with gloss black paint before mounting tires and dropping the engine. I always thought that the frame was dipped in some tar-like substance and the suspension bits were painted.

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think that is a colorized black and white photo, that may have something to do with the odd color.

Bob Core

Well Known Member
I suspect (but don't know for sure) that it's part of a fleet order with a "SPCL" paint code on the cowl tag. In this case the entity ordering is Yellow Cab Company or something like that. I did a Google search and found a Plymouth Yellow Cab with the same livery, including the brick red roof. FWIW. The Chevy engine orange and the silver blue wheels look correct, I think.

There's a discussion on the GM photostore FB page about the tarp or vinyl. Consensus there is that it's a tarp to protect the body's paint from conveyor grease during the trip to the drop.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cool picture. My 63 frame had the asphalt type crap on it. Check out the painted head pipe. Also the quick black out job on the bottom of the trunk floor that hangs below the bumper. Mine had the same thing.

Bob Core

Well Known Member
The blacked-out exhaust pipe puzzles me. Someone must have considered it an appearance issue to have a small length of shiny pipe visible behind the front tires. Having a little body color peeking out below the bumper would have beeen awkward, if they hadn't made at least a half-serious attempt (at best!) of blacking it out.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
Ya know what would be cool? Doing a 1/25th scale of these cars on the assembly line like the pic! Who's up for the task? Models? Skip? :D

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I'm out. My cats would never let me get that done. Far too nosey. And…….my up close vision is not what it used to be.