Cooling ports Edlebrock Performer

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
So this arrived today and the back end has no provisions for cooling and it will block off the ports on the heads. What does this do? Good or bad? Does the coolant flow properly?

Attachments

• DE93E4A5-B348-43EE-BDFE-3DB478A48DE3.jpeg
    DE93E4A5-B348-43EE-BDFE-3DB478A48DE3.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 38

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Excuses,excuses :pokeTim! Hope you're feeling better.A 65 Vette is a better car [unless that 63 was a "split window"] anyway so no great loss.:)

lol! I’ve had a few brain farts this week! I’m on the mend now so looking for corvettes in the woods doesn’t seem like a realistic project anymore! Yes it was a split window! Specifically one I saw a number of years ago at the Gilmore museum in Michigan it was “one of one” black on black, 427,4 speed. Beautiful car!

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Sounds like one of zero if it was a 427 in a 63.

it was a 427. Had the emblem and the description on the stand. It was built for a GM executive. Not sure if it was a pre Mark Iv engine but the timing would be right since they were in development about then. It’s was at the Gilmore museum about 8 years ago. Maybe it was a Z11. You couldn’t get close and the hood was closed. The stand said it was one only.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Ok I did a bit of homework, the corvette I saw was definitely a 63 427 “mystery” Mark II. It was built and given the the engineer that worked on the r and d of the engine. It was all black with a 4 speed. When I seen it 8 years ago at the Gilmore it had 3000 miles on it.
There were other ones built by Mickey Thompson and raced. The engine is the same engine used in Junior Johnson’s Impala in 63. Although they raced these cars they had all the engines but there was no backing or approval to do so by GM.
I knew I wasn’t having another brain fart!!!
There’s a whole story in Hot Rod Magazine December 2015

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I wonder what the hood looked like on that '63 with a BBC stuffed in the engine bay?

Pretty sure it wouldn't fit under a stock 1963 hood. Maybe it was a prototype stinger hood like we began to see on the production cars in 1965?

I recall Mickey Thompson had about half dozen 1963 coupe race cars, outfitted with fuel injection. One of them used to be in the St. Louis area, I think it was his "driver" car :).

Cheers! TomK

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Tom, I remember taking pictures but can’t find them. If I can find the picture it would have lots of answers. I don’t remember the hood and if it was a stinger or not. I do remember the car was on loan to the museum and was privately owned.