"Correct" height for a 61?

Omaha_Impala

Everyone and their dog is telling me that my Impala stands up too high, especially in the front. I'm running with the original coil springs and original steel wheels.

My thought is that they are mostly used to seeing 61s with the 2 inch drop in the front, and short sidewall tires on custom wheels.

Anybody know of a source to find out the original factory height?

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Correct height for 61

Omaha,
If production standard height is what your looking for, the 61 shop manual shows the following.

Height- Sta. wagon & Conv to be 56.0 inches

Height- All others to be 55.0 inches

Dave

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Everyone and their dog is telling me that my Impala stands up too high, especially in the front. I'm running with the original coil springs and original steel wheels.

My thought is that they are mostly used to seeing 61s with the 2 inch drop in the front, and short sidewall tires on custom wheels.

Anybody know of a source to find out the original factory height?

Pictures????

Omaha_Impala

Here's a photo from last week.

Yeah, I know my hood insulation is only half-done... :)

Attachments

• Omaha_CnC_08_23_08__0005.jpg
    Omaha_CnC_08_23_08__0005.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 121

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Me too!

Mine sits up in the front as well, never took measurements, but just from "eye appeal". When I rebuilt the front and rear I went back with "station wagon" springs which I was told were correct for the 409 that year (1962). Stock 14" wheels.

I need to address this at some point, but I absolutely dread messing with those springs up front.... Toooo dangerous, and I was careful the first time. Now I am even more wary of the potential of "sprung weight". So I just drive her around like she is, hoping it'll settle down some day :).

Good luck!

TomK

Attachments

• HMWHers and visit to MOM July 26 - 28 2008 005A.jpg
    HMWHers and visit to MOM July 26 - 28 2008 005A.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 130

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Correct Height For A 61

Dick,
The height dimensions I stated were from the 1961 shop manual on page 1-3 under "General Information". It does not say as to what point these dimensions are taken from. My guess is from the ground to the highest point on the roof.

Dave

Omaha_Impala

I'm going to hazard a guess that your rear springs are sagging. A very nice car none the less.

Thanks!

I like it the way it is, and I agree with Tom that messing with them now doesn't sound like my idea of fun...

Got to get back to the rest of the hood insulation...

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
put some miles on the springs before you decide if you like the ride height or not. Mine settled almost a full 1/2 inch after driving her this summer

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
put some miles on the springs before you decide if you like the ride height or not. Mine settled almost a full 1/2 inch after driving her this summer

Was that before or after you got married ??

You know how lovers act like little rabbits before the marriage.,,, right? :roll:eek::D

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
:doh I don't know dq. That's just wrong?:dunno Are you saying that people still mess around, in their car's? Around here, Drive-In's are long gone. :roll:roll

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
yeah DQ I was thinking about that one also. There used to be one south of me in Pocomoke back in the day.
Brian might remember also because it was on the Va. line. Last time I looked it was a junk yard. There also was a good one that had a roller rink down in Va. on the Chincoteague Rd. Brian any of your family remember "the Dream drive in"? I can't think of one around here still in business either
robert

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
yeah DQ I was thinking about that one also. There used to be one south of me in Pocomoke back in the day.
Brian might remember also because it was on the Va. line. Last time I looked it was a junk yard. There also was a good one that had a roller rink down in Va. on the Chincoteague Rd. Brian any of your family remember "the Dream drive in"? I can't think of one around here still in business either
robert

Are you speaking of Davis' Junk Yard? I don't remember anything being there, but then again I am just a young pup. My father did frequent the Dream quite a bit when he was younger. I used to date a girl that lived right next to it years ago. i think it is still a roller rink.