Correct Spatter COlor for 64 trunk?

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Puhlezze solve our argument.

My 64 SS trunk is painted black @ aqua spatter . It looks old and I thought it was original. I’m in the process of re-doing it. A friend of mine says the only correct trunk color was gray w/ white spatter for 64's. I know that most I’ve seen are gray and white. I’ve been told both are correct and different assembly plants used both colors. Anybody know what the proper color is? Don’t want get knocked off any points for showing up with the wrong trunk color

:bow

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Product options

Just FYI, a few of us have used the Eastwood products for the trunks. I used about 3-4 "rattle" cans as I recall, and my trunk was in decent shape. Be sure to topcoat that with a clear product, as the "spatter paint" is a latex over a solvent-based product. Even after the rattle can mix hardens, it can be compromised when it comes in contact with water, which can happen in a trunk.

I put 3-4 cans of spatter on, let it dry, then coated it the next day with Eastwood's "clear over paint" product. Don't take this as a pitch for Eastwood, there are other products available as well.

Good luck!

TomK

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Tom Kochtanek said:
Just FYI, a few of us have used the Eastwood products for the trunks. I used about 3-4 "rattle" cans as I recall, and my trunk was in decent shape. Be sure to topcoat that with a clear product, as the "spatter paint" is a latex over a solvent-based product. Even after the rattle can mix hardens, it can be compromised when it comes in contact with water, which can happen in a trunk.

I put 3-4 cans of spatter on, let it dry, then coated it the next day with Eastwood's "clear over paint" product. Don't take this as a pitch for Eastwood, there are other products available as well.

Good luck!

TomK
Thanks!!:p Gray it will be! Does anyone sell the splatter paint in bulk that could be shot from a gun? Is the top coat just a "clear"coat or a special sealer?
Mick

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Clear

Mick:

I think the clear is just a top coat to protect what's underneath. It works for my application.

Good luck, it'll look great :).

Best,
TomK

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"Does anyone sell the splatter paint in bulk that could be shot from a gun?"

Yes, but I'll have to check to see who handles it. I used to buy it in quart cans from NAPA but that source dried up years ago. In the past couple of months, I saw an add in Hemmings for quart cans of splatter paint. I'll see if I can find out who listed it.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
His name is John Berlage I believe...I think it's the same stuff for a 1970...this is really good stuff and real accurate when sprayed from a gun...

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
4onthefloor,

Thanks, you saved me from having to look through my old Hemmings. I think I'll order some.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I went out and found my receipt...he's a good guy and this stuff is the best and he gives instructions on the spraying method to get it right...good luck.

Old School

Supporting Member 1
That is great!! I will call him after Xmas. Does the stuff work in a reg automotive finish type gun? Do you remember if you had to reduce it to shoot it out of the can?
Merry Christmas, Mick

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Man you are making me type !! Here is what it says in the directions

Handling > Stir and pour slowly- do not mix mechanically

Prep> For grey/white apply light colored primer

Reduction > None necessary.If you require to reduce for spray pattern use WATER gradually in small increments until satisfied with pattern

Application> A large nozzle primer gun with 30-60 pounds pressure required adjust fan to 12 -14 inch ..hold gun 18-30 inches from surfave...spraying at an angle will distort will distort splatter which is required for best result

Cleanup with water or mineral spirits

Precautions > Danger ! Combustible

Dry time>2-4 hours to touch...24 hour full cure

Old School

Supporting Member 1
4 on the floor:..
You are the man!! Thanks for taking the time to type that all out... I've got a huge trunk that is the wrong color and it will take a lot of paint to cover it up. I thought it was be silly to use a half dozen or more spray cans when I could get it in bulk and shoot it on in a fraction of the time it would take shaken' those damn cans...