Corvair 409 project

NASTY 409

Banned
Well after a very loooooooong delay I am back working on the 409 Corvair project, body is back from paint shop and the paint looks fantastic:cool:I will be replacing all the missing body parts,etc before I reinstall the 9r. :)

Attachments

• DCP07539.jpg
    DCP07539.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 334

NASTY 409

Banned
Stock Corvair 4 speed trans (Saginaw) and a modified Corvair diff 3:89 ratio(w/girdle and 4 spider gears) Solid steel billet flywheel and 6 puck ceramic disc w/HD pressure plate. I know it's gonna be the weak point but it will get me down the road.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Cool !! Rear engine???

My buddy has two Corvairs with V-8`s !!
The finished one is a mid engine twin turbo SBC.
The one he is doing now is a front engine blown big block!!!

NASTY 409

Banned
Yes this one is going to be rear engine , reverse rotation 409, just the way Ed Cole would have wanted it.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
GREAT project Marv!!!!!!!!!!!! If I had the time....I'd love to come up and help you work on it!!!!
There was a guy in my home town of Emporia, KS back in the mid 60's that put a 327 4-speed in an early Corvair. It was awesome!!!!
Better beef up the front suspension!!!! Dropping back down to earth at every stop light will really stress out the front spindles!!!!!!!!:bow:bow:bow:bow

oil4kids

Well Known Member
heard of a toronado powered corvair last week entire1967 rear 425 cube olds engine and front wheel drive turbo 400 drive train installed still had room for rear seats,

today he has aalky supercharged 468 olds with toronado drive train in a honda crx with the orig engine still up front

Attachments

• Torvair-504px.jpg
    Torvair-504px.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 64

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Mark...........that guy needs some serious professional help!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:roll:roll

Oh well.........he probably already does his own welding!!!!:roll:roll

1960impala283

Well Known Member
I like the wall display behind the corvair. Looks like you can top off the 409 any way you like. A friend of mine has a later style, very rough, corvair in his driveway that is set up for mid engine. Transaxle might be good for a spare. Between Hamilton and Caledonia.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Love these Frankenstein cars!!!!:cool:

Once saw a Porsche with a V8 sticking out the back!!!:eek:

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Back in the 60's a dentist near here put a 327 fuelly in back of his Vair. I called last week about one for sale in the same town, but it was a 4 door. The told me the dentist still has his car and wanted to see how he did it.
What a great combo. Obsolete car with an obsolete motor. Don't get any better.

KTEN

One of my older brothers classmates had a 396 in a Corvair. Early 70's it was. Seems they wrapped it up against a tree and killed all 6 occupants. Why there were 6 kids in a Corvair.......? I'm sure that no alcohol was involved!?!?!

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well after a very loooooooong delay I am back working on the 409 Corvair project, body is back from paint shop and the paint looks fantastic:cool:I will be replacing all the missing body parts,etc before I reinstall the 9r. :)

There was a black corvair back in the 70's for sale by Sugar grove, IL. It had a mid engine 409.

:crazy

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Found some pictures of my friends Corvair,,,before the turbos were installed,,

Attachments

• Resize of IMG_0557.JPG
    Resize of IMG_0557.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Resize of IMG_0558.JPG
    Resize of IMG_0558.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 180