Cowl Induction and other things

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here are a couple things I did my way. Cowl Induction was made with 2 pizza pans, parts from an old Chevy truck air cleaner and a lot of fabrication. Both aluminum and steel were used. DSC04094.JPG I also moved the battery to the trunk to give me room for the MSD box, I wanted all the main power items to be on the same side as the starter so alternator was moved to passenger side. Main power and ignition power connections are located next to the MSD box on a terminal strip with relays and short circuit protection devices nearby. Power steering is a mix of Jaguar remote reservoir and old Chevy pump with modified tank. Steering is Global West bump steer correction and a 600 series box. Radiator is Eastwood tri-flow modified so it would clear the steering box. Also the radiator support was modified so the radiator would fit. Upper control arms are also Global West pieces with 6 degs added caster. Also has 2" drop spindles and disc brakes.

Attachments

• DSC04095.JPG
    DSC04095.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC04096.JPG
    DSC04096.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC04097.JPG
    DSC04097.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the complements, I have way more hours in that then I care to admit. But hey, it was fun and I learned a lot doing it. The difference between an amateur and a professional is: the professional has done it way more times than the amateur, and he has gotten all the mistakes out of the way! But the final results can always be the same, just takes longer.:D

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
awesome work jeffery, that cowl air cleaner would be an easy sell if it weren't so labor intensive...
I thought about it, probably could cut down on the labor if I made a mold and did most of it in fiberglass. Not sure if that would be something anyone would want.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I like the idea of fiberglass for an air cleaner.It would help insulate the incoming air from engine heat which is among the main reasons for using cowl induction anyway.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I like the idea of fiberglass for an air cleaner.It would help insulate the incoming air from engine heat which is among the main reasons for using cowl induction anyway.

Hey Don
Just wondering, are you thinking fiberglass may be better than aluminum, or am I reading you wrong?
Dave

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I wouldn't think the heat sink capabilities would be much different between the two materials. Mabye someone schooled in that area has an answer Don.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I wondered about using Peel and Seal roofing materiel on the bottom side to combat the heat transfer.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I would think that as long as the car and air is moving, opened throttle, through the ducts, it wouldn't have time to absorb too much of the heat from the housing. Now if you were in traffic, not moving very fast, it would probably pick up some heat from the housing. Fiberglass probably wouldn't hold/transfer the heat like aluminum, but the fiberglass isn't as heat resistant and may deform or crack over time. :dunno

Jeffrey Osstyn

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So what was the original piece made of? I live in AZ. and I have TBI on mine so I can see what the IAT is. On a 100 deg day sitting in traffic my IAT would climb to 135 deg. and above. YIKES! After the install of cowl induction IAT rarely exceeds 115 deg. much better. One issue I did have was noise. When I opened my fresh air vent, passenger side, I had loud weird noises. Not knowing what it was, I pulled over and opened the hood to see what was wrong. Figured it out, nothing, I had a direct connection to the TBI inlet and all engine noises were amplified and funneled into my cowl and passenger compartment.
Has anyone louvered the inner fenders in an attempt to give the under hood hot air a way out? If so, did it work? And what direction were the punches placed.