Craftsman Bandsaw

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have been looking for a metal cutting vertical band saw for a month or so. All of the metal specific bandsaw are very expensive. I ended up buying a very nice used older model Craftsman bandsaw. I changed the drive pulley from 2 1/2" dia to 1 3/4" dia and I ordered a 14" dia driven pulley. Just trying to slow the speed down as much as easily possible. In the meantime, I picked up a couple 10/14 tpi blades. So, I had to try it out. Wow, it cuts aluminum like butter and super easy to control. This is a night and day difference from my old vertical/horizontal HF bandsaw. So glad I bought it.IMG_20200823_091922.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
So how do you think it will be on metal?
If I had to guess, with the blade I have now and a little reduction in speed, it should cut 1/8" to 1/4" steel fine. Thinner material with a finer blade should also be no problem. Thicker material may be an issue with the heat generated and not being in the 150 fpm blade speed. As for now the blade being 93 1/2"long, doesn't get hot at all. Off course, I'm not making any really long cuts in thick aluminum. No issues yet with the aluminum imbedding on the tires either. I am using a shop vac on the dust collection port also. So far, so good.

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I thought it was junk but I looked it over and adjusted its levers and everything looks and works good. The band is still sharp too so I'll hit it with some rust remover and get it cleaned up and lubed.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Basically this is what you have in a newer version. You can only cut a straight cut unlike Jims.View attachment 86121
The HF version of this saw works great for horizontal cutting of lengths of stock but it doesn't work well for curved cutting of flat stock in the vertical position. That's where the new bandsaw shines. From all the information I've seen, the issue with curved cuts, is that the blade needs to be able to twist slightly while your turning the work piece. The pictured style of vertical/horizontal saws use roller bearing guides which run against the sides of the blade( a necessity as the blade is purposely twisted by the rollers to cut the material straight) thus preventing any blade movement. The vertical saw has carbide blocks that do not touch the blade under normal straight cuts and allow some blade twist while cutting curves. Hope this explanation is not too confusing with all of the "twisting" going on. :D

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Basically this is what you have in a newer version. You can only cut a straight cut unlike Jims.View attachment 86121
I won't be using mine to cut round corners. The idea is to have a platform I can set metal on and trim little pieces off of it instead of mounting the piece in the vice I can take the piece to the saw. Sometimes a vice is the way to go, other times its a pain in the ass. Due to the way its designed I really only have to come up with a platform I can take on and off when its vertical since the arm is on a small swivel and detachable I should be able to mod it to either chop as it does now or pull a pin, stand it up and attach my small platform. I don't get into heavy fabrication requiring larger machines. This little guy should be more than enough to do the job nicely.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I took no offense blkblk63ss. I know all machines have different capabilities. I was just excited to see someone else had the same old thing I brought home!
Yep, none taken. This is like a little cordless drill I can take to the top of my 22' ladder. Some guys want or need something bigger but this little guy should be more than enough for me. I need to find a manual for it. Looks pretty straight forward so it may not be needed. My great uncle passed away and no one wanted it and I snagged it thinking it may be useful. Glad the surface rust didn't make me pitch it. Like I said, works great and everything moves like it should. Even the drop piston adjusts speed.