Crank Case Venting with Forced Induction

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think I've asked this before, but have forgotten the answer and probably not using the right search terms.
What should be done for crank case ventilation with 8 - 10 psi of forced induction?
My manifold has the heat shield with a baffle. The suggestion from ProCharger is to run a PCV which dumps/connects to the plastic end of the air filter. On the 348/431, this would require the PCV adaptor from Show Cars.

While I don't doubt their experience, it seems there is potential to suck a lot of oil from the crankcase this way. I don't mind buying the part, I just want a good setup the first try rather than the second or third try.

Also, what would be the problem with running the down draft tube?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'd suggest open breathers over a PCV on any type of boosted application unless maybe if one was running a good "Gapless'' ring package.
I'm sure I'm not running a gapless ring. I remember the builder walking me through the gap setup based on boost amount.

So, in addition to the tube filler with a cap on the manifold, I should put something like one of these on each valve cover:
https://www.summitracing.com/search...alve Cover Breathers&kr=Valve Cover Breathers

If so, should I block off the hole on the back of the manifold?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Also should ask about what oil to use?
Not sure if there's are any special requirements or not. Any reason not to use the same oil for break in?
While I'm sure my engine guy has a clue, I don't. I just like to have some idea if he and I have a conversation.
With few exceptions, I hate saying, just do what you think is best.