Cranking a 409 Reliably

roaminchariot

Supporting Member 1
I've had a lot of trouble getting my engine to crank reliably (it doesn't even move a lot of times). I know that some of the problem is old ignition wiring and the starter is not a high output one, but I have not had time/money for those things yet. Thought it might be the starter solenoid coil but that wasn't it. So here's a good, easy solution that helped a lot for now: I put in an 850CCA battery from PEP Boys and now it cranks over every time, at least when its cold. Battery came with an adapter plate to make the battery higher and I cut the plate as needed to make it fit.

Just thought I'd pass this tidbit on for what its worth :)

P.S. Part number was Energizer 34780t-850

bobs409

Administrator
Good tip roaminchariot. :cheers

I was giving cranking amps some thought recently too. By having a few extra, it just might help avoid that embarassing hot no start situation!

Now I have to check my shop manual to see what my 409 should have had originally and take it from there.

Bob

Va348

Supporting Member 1
There is a easy way Bob 409 times 2 = 818 so 825 or 850 Most all HP eng.
need a 800- 900

Yrs ago that kind of formula they went 2 times Cu. In.

Dale

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Roamin, Sounds like your windings and brushes in the starter are going and your battery was on its last legs.

The problem is the cheap crap they use to rebuild the starters. I have a local guy that rebuilds all my electrical stuff and I`ve never had a problem with heat soak or starting.
He says heat soak is a sign of cheap rebuild parts NOT from the heat ! :deal

On that note,, I`m buying a mini starter from him Monday. The GOOD one !!
Watch out for the cheap mini`s that are light weight and low amp.
They were all over the swap meet last weekend ! Could have bought one of them at $100 but for $140 I know I`m getting a good one.
Even still with his being heavier it still is a TON lighter then the stock monster !!
,,,dq

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
I know this may be blasphemous. but I have used Ford solenoids on four different GM cars to cure the hot start"thing" and it worked every time. :eek:

bobs409

Administrator
I cured mine with a different battery. Turns out, the battery was the one that must have been affected by heat and not the starter. Ever since that battery died and I've been using a different one, no troubles anymore. (knock on wood)

59elcooldsuv

Well Known Member
dq409 said:
On that note,, I`m buying a mini starter from him Monday. The GOOD one !!,,,dq

My 348 came with an Ironglide and that adaptor ring tween the block & bell housing. I plan to use it this way when I put it in a Tbucket/TrackT.

Do they make the mini starter with the nose to bolt to the Ironglide's adaptor plate? Can I buy a mini starter and "rebuild" it with the old nose?

Or do I just need to have my old one rebuilt?

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You should be able to get the mini starter for any aplication.
If you can`t find one email me and I`ll see what I can do.
If you rebuild your old one find a GOOD independent rebuilder that uses good parts .
My guy does send them all over the country , let me know,,dq