Crankshaft problem

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You have a tough one with the sleave hanging out of the hole. Not much help holding the outside of the sleave.

tenxal

Well Known Member
59 Elky: that looks like the pilot bushing for a Turboglide trans. Hard to tell from the pics, though?

Measure the o.d. of this counter bore and compare it to the o.d. of the hub on the convertor you're going to use.

Looks like you should be able to easily measure the counter bore o.d. measure it and post it here, if you will. :)

Last edited:

chuckl

Well Known Member
When absolutely everything else fails, get a six-pack of cold beer and a fine tooth hacksaw blade. Make three equally spaced cuts inside the bushing to near the crankshaft opening. Tap the bushing segments with a small chisel to collapse the bushing inward. If this does not work, go to the fridge and get a couple(?) more beers; it gets easier. Caution: Do not try this on a late Saturday night, when an early Mass is scheduled; you will never make it! I learned this trick from the big boys. :winner:winner

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ive never had a failure using grease, 5/8 Bolt, one ta two swift blows and it pops right out to where you can grab it, I think 1 or 50 people might have mentioned that lol, good luck!!!!

59 elky

Well tried the grease and snug bolt didn’t work tried the bread and bolt that didn’t work either the tool I bought bottomed out before it snugged up to bushing.So used die grinder cut relief cuts in bushing used slide hammer with vise grips got most of it out but not all.Got enough that the trans bolts up want to thank everyone for there advice I have learned a lot and have gotten many good ideas from this forum.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
All parts of a bearing or bushing need to be removed before installing your automatic transmission. I prefer the puller method as I don’t like beating on a crank. I also use a homemade bearing press that bolts to the crank flange to put them in.