Crazy other critters thread.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We have a few families, in our yards. Next door, and down the back.:doh I came out the other morning, and came up on a large specimen.:eek1He caught me by surprise.:alarmed We stood there looking at each other, for a minute. He then gave me the finger:finger and strutted away.:rolleyes

One year I went out back to burn some papers and I walked around this one corner where the grass was tall and come face to baby ground hog and we stood staring at one another and then the little sucker charged me making all kinds of Jr Woodchuck sounds and I was holding a couple of pizza boxes so I let him have it:bat after he got done rolling and I'm sure he was thinking I don't wants no more parts of that so he buggered out of there.:D

Mark

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I got 2 this morning. Double skunked???

View attachment 83342
I laughed pretty hard when I saw this post, in the last several weeks I have relocated 6 raccoons from my yard with the exact same trap. The other night on my security camera I saw a skunk and thought what would I do if I had one in my trap. I guess I need to put a rope on my trap like you have, Ha. I have been taking the raccoons 10 miles away from my house and across a river to let them go but if I had a skunk I don't know what I would do. How did you open the trap to let them go or are they still in it?

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I laughed pretty hard when I saw this post, in the last several weeks I have relocated 6 raccoons from my yard with the exact same trap. The other night on my security camera I saw a skunk and thought what would I do if I had one in my trap. I guess I need to put a rope on my trap like you have, Ha. I have been taking the raccoons 10 miles away from my house and across a river to let them go but if I had a skunk I don't know what I would do. How did you open the trap to let them go or are they still in it?

Be sure you tie the rope to something to pull it away. Last year I left the rope untied. The skunk pulled the whole rope in the trap with it. That required moving the trap with a front end loader. As far as opening the trap, it won't be a problem. They seem to have expired in the trap. I'll empty the trap next week after the smell weakens.

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I lived in MO about as far west from St. Louis before you crossed the MO River, ‘had horse property. Raccoons would routinely go into my barn at night and try to get in the horse feed. I had a concrete block on top of a 55 gal drum I kept open grain in. After my wife started finding the block on the floor in the morning, we started live trapping coons and driving them over the river bridge. I would tease my wife that I could see the coon swimming back as we crossed the bridge headed home. After 20+ trips one year, we started to see how long they could hold their breath in a horse water tank.:bat

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I didn't know if we have PETA people on the website??? But my relocation plan involves a Winchester 72A.

Those PETA people, should they exist on this site are entitled to their opinions. However, so are you and everyone else on this board. One of the big problems in our country is that PETA, and many other groups of people think they are the only ones that should have an opinion. And that it is somehow wrong, racist, anti-Semitic, sexist, homophobic, etc, etc, etc., if your opinion differs from theirs. Stand tall. Be proud. Be principled. And always have an opinion and express it when appropriate. Don't ever let others silence or sensor you. Ok, I know that was a little itty bitty dramatic, so go play with your Winchester :D

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
When I lived in MO about as far west from St. Louis before you crossed the MO River, ‘had horse property. Raccoons would routinely go into my barn at night and try to get in the horse feed. I had a concrete block on top of a 55 gal drum I kept open grain in. After my wife started finding the block on the floor in the morning, we started live trapping coons and driving them over the river bridge. I would tease my wife that I could see the coon swimming back as we crossed the bridge headed home. After 20+ trips one year, we started to see how long they could hold their breath in a horse water tank.:bat
The thought has crossed my mind to give them swimming lessons, Lol

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
We all have are opinions, seems some of us would just put them out of our misery. I would look and see who was watching.
If I can re-locate any animal I will....:good....I really hate to shoot anything but sometimes......well.....:confused
Recently caught a skunk, covered the trap and drove it about 5 miles away. He(she) didn't want to come out....:wtf.
I had to rattle the trap and then run like hell...:rolleyes...it just waddled out and went into the bushes.....:clap.
Next one wasn't so accommodating and was even able to spray in the trap........what a sh..t show that was.....:facepalm
have relocated about a dozen raccoons and about half a dozen red squirrels.......one was eating my BBQ cover......:thumbdown

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Skunks around here have been known to carry rabies. We try not to miss. My son got 2 in the yard yesterday, that makes 6 this spring/summer. Worse than usual for some reason.

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This year is a bumper crop year for chipmunks around me. They’re also Big and Fat! They dig holes everywhere. In several holes, I’ve placed coffee grounds or moth balls. Believe it or not but the next day the holes have been filled in - - - which I think is nice of them:D

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
This year is a bumper crop year for chipmunks around me. They’re also Big and Fat! They dig holes everywhere. In several holes, I’ve placed coffee grounds or moth balls. Believe it or not but the next day the holes have been filled in - - - which I think is nice of them:D
Chipmunks love peanuts in the shell. have re-located about 4 or 5 of these little suckers.......:clap

Junky

Well Known Member
Skunks around here have been known to carry rabies. We try not to miss. My son got 2 in the yard yesterday, that makes 6 this spring/summer. Worse than usual for some reason.

Almost all wild animals are capable of caring rabies. The idea is not to get bit when handling them. If you handle a trap, make sure to wash your hands before you do anything else. Around my home, the problem is racoons, chipmunks, and porcupine.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
About 15 years ago, we had a Chipmunk Colony, in our neighborhood.:doh In the beginning, they were sort of amusing.:dunno Our five cats, loved sitting in the back porch window, watching them. :rollAfter awhile, they started doing damage. They went under our back stoop, and dug out all the dirt, under it. Didn't take long, for the concrete to collapse.:dohBastards. Us humans, weren't the only group watching.:dunno2 All the cats, in our neighborhood, were silently watching.:clap Every couple days, we would find carcasses, in our yard.:appl Little by little, they eradicated these little annoying bastards. :clapMy wife and I were talking, with her brother, standing, in our driveway. My brother-in-law Don, says look Skip, there's a a hawk circling your yard. It was so freeking high, you could barely see it.:drop A few moments later, it swooped down and plucked a plump chipmunk, off the ground, and took it away.:appl We didn't even know it was there.:eek3 Now we have wood chucks :doh:thumbdown