Cricut Maker cutting machine

bobs409

Administrator
Just made the proto-type etched beer mug and it came out GREAT! Cut the stencil on the Cricut machine, applied to the mug and taped off the remaining glass to protect it, then a quick trip thru my sand blast cabinet and wha-la, instant party mug!!! :D (a real bear to photograph though with the glare) I just wish I still drank so I could test it properly. :martini

DSCN1860.jpgDSCN1862.jpgDSCN1863.jpgDSCN1864.jpgDSCN1866.jpg

The last pic shows my very first test with a flat piece of glass and some left over decals I had.

DSCN1861.jpg

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
I've also heard that this out door permanent vinyl that I use can be used on glass and it even holds up to a dish washer. That opens up a whole other world of idea's! :think

bobs409

Administrator
Been working on a proto-type T shirt design. Needs a few small changes yet. I tried a silver background behind the letters and image due to having some black in the flags and going on a black shirt. Needs some changes there, maybe the letter colors too. Might make it a little bigger too but it's not bad. I'm wearing it right now in fact! :D

DSCN1890.jpgDSCN1891.jpg

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Been working on a proto-type T shirt design. Needs a few small changes yet. I tried a silver background behind the letters and image due to having some black in the flags and going on a black shirt. Needs some changes there, maybe the letter colors too. Might make it a little bigger too but it's not bad. I'm wearing it right now in fact! :D

View attachment 63501View attachment 63502
Hey Bob,
I dont mean to scare you etc but if you are wearing it now i think you need to eat a little more as the pics show you are fading away:lmao
Steve

bobs409

Administrator
As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, I wanted to try making gaskets with this machine. Today I created my very first ones and they came out GREAT!!! In some cases, it might be cheaper to just buy gaskets but not always. Then what if you need something odd that is not available? I'm ready for that challenge now! :D

I purchased a pair of rear axle to backing plate gaskets for my 63 from Lutty's, made by Felpro for $6.00 plus shipping. I then purchased some blank Felpro gasket material on ebay for a really great price. I got a piece of blue that is rubber cellulose, 26 x 10 x 3/64" for $8.89 free shipping and a piece of black that is rubber fiber, 26 x 10 x 1/32" for $7.30 free shipping.

I scanned the store bought gasket into my computer and took it into inkscape to get it cleaned up to import to cricut design. Once there, I set the dimensions exactly like the original gasket (even used digital calipers) and SUCCESS! A little challenge to get the cut pressure and number of cuts correct but I think I have it dialed in now. Oh yeah, I cut a test gasket from card stock to verify it was accurate. Tested it on the car and it was spot on!

This isn't for everyone I know but I'm the kind of guy that likes to do things for himself! Cut out the middle man. :D

Now I can't cut head gaskets, thick cork like valve cover or manifold gasket but most of the thin ones are do-able.

And here's the proof. The 2 at the top are the store bought and the next 2 are mine cut from the blue material and below that 2 cut from the thinner black material.

DSCN2030.jpg

I'm working on the carrier gasket now. Shown below is a store bought Fel-pro gasket. My copy to come...

DSCN2032.jpg

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Bob, I assume you can cut stencils on that machine? I'm still interested in being able to re do the ACC LOCK OFF ON START lettering atop the ignition switch on my 62 Impala. The factory probably silk screened them. Over time, the lettering wears away. I purchased a dry transfer decal that is/was pure crap. I think others would have an interest in this item, too. Whattayasay?