Cricut Maker cutting machine

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Bob, I assume you can cut stencils on that machine? I'm still interested in being able to re do the ACC LOCK OFF ON START lettering atop the ignition switch on my 62 Impala. The factory probably silk screened them. Over time, the lettering wears away. I purchased a dry transfer decal that is/was pure crap. I think others would have an interest in this item, too. Whattayasay?
$89.99 plus shipping and handling plus tax and insurance !!!:laughing

bobs409

Administrator
Bob, I assume you can cut stencils on that machine? I'm still interested in being able to re do the ACC LOCK OFF ON START lettering atop the ignition switch on my 62 Impala. The factory probably silk screened them. Over time, the lettering wears away. I purchased a dry transfer decal that is/was pure crap. I think others would have an interest in this item, too. Whattayasay?

That sounds do-able. Let me look into that and I'll get back to you when I know for sure. :write

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Try for thermostat and water pump gaskets if your machine can do those.
Always seems I need them, when the parts store are either closed or out of stock.
Dave

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator

I just got done the final testing. First job was to find a font that matched the original. I'm fairly close but it is a tad off. (good enough for testing)

First picture below shows the negative "stencil" test cut "LIGHTER" out of black vinyl on top. (I have clear stencil material but very hard to see/use on things this small so regular vinyl is best) Below that is the vinyl letters from it. This method could work if you wanted to just stick on and avoid spraying paint. Below that I'm sure you know is an original part for comparison.

DSCN2041.jpg

Next up is that top stencil on a piece of metal, masked off and sprayed with satin black Krylon.

DSCN2048.jpg

and how it looked unmasked. That was 2 coats, maybe a lighter touch with an air brush would improve the quality.

DSCN2049.jpg

and lastly, here are the painted version from the stencil (top), 2nd one is the cut out vinyl letters and lastly an original part.

DSCN2050.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Another project I've been working on are repro tail gate letters for 54-87 Chevy stepside:

Shown here in matte black: (as well as how they look on my truck)

DSCN2036.jpgDSCN2039.jpg

Lots of sellers on ebay with these but I put a set on to test the waters. GM must not be worried since those sellers are still there but if needed, send bail money for me!

Offering them in matte white as well as the 67-72 Chevy fleetside version shown here:

DSCN2045.jpg

55Brodie

Well Known Member
I just got done the final testing. First job was to find a font that matched the original. I'm fairly close but it is a tad off. (good enough for testing)

First picture below shows the negative "stencil" test cut "LIGHTER" out of black vinyl on top. (I have clear stencil material but very hard to see/use on things this small so regular vinyl is best) Below that is the vinyl letters from it. This method could work if you wanted to just stick on and avoid spraying paint. Below that I'm sure you know is an original part for comparison.

View attachment 63993

Next up is that top stencil on a piece of metal, masked off and sprayed with satin black Krylon.

View attachment 63994

Bob, I like the stencil idea. How much for a complete dash set or two?

and how it looked unmasked. That was 2 coats, maybe a lighter touch with an air brush would improve the quality.

View attachment 63995

and lastly, here are the painted version from the stencil (top), 2nd one is the cut out vinyl letters and lastly an original part.

View attachment 63996

bobs409

Administrator
Bob, I like the stencil idea. How much for a complete dash set or two?

Let me see if I can find a closer font. That one is very close but there are a kazillion of them on the web! I would think $10 for a set of all the words; LIGHTS, VENT, WIPER, LIGHTER & ACC LOCK OFF ON START and that would include both the letters and the negative cut out pieces. That way you can experiment and give the decal approach a try if you like. (will make on matte black vinyl for that purpose)

One thing I didn't mention was because of the small size of these, the letters that have an internal piece like the R, P, O & A make it a little more challenging. The R has the smallest inside piece and I had to use a pick and manually place it in before painting. Hope you have good eyes and steady fingers. :D

bobs409

Administrator
Count me in. For ten bucks ill be your test mule?

DSCN2062.JPG

Well, here they are. I was able to keep the same font but space them to match the originals. I think they are very close now. These little letters are murder! All came out ok but the centers of the A, P & R for the stencils got lost. I managed to save the centers of the o's and placed them back in. You could just paint as they are and then scrape a little paint back out of those areas or maybe cut VERY tiny pieces to set back in. It's nit picky! (the reason the centers were lost is the machine cut them and they popped out and stuck to the other vinyl. When this stuff sticks to itself, IT STICKS big time!) :grumble

If using the cut out letters, they came out good with no missing pieces. I think if it were me, I'd use the stick on letters. I ran my finger across the painted test stencil I did and the stick on letters and they both feel about the same. The stick on letters should hold up much better too.

I will include both as shown so you can try each and decide. I hope they work out for you and if so, let's see some pics of the finished job! :munch

To use the cut out letters, just take a piece of masking tape and place on top of the word and rub across a little. (not too hard, experiment) You should then be able to peel the tape back and the letters will be stuck there in the proper position. Then apply to the dash and rub them to stick on place. Then peel back slowly at a sharp angle. You don't want to pull the tape upwards which can pull the letter back up. It's really something you have to get a feel for. Sometimes they go good, sometimes you have to fuss a bit. And working with letters this small is not too fun! :splat

I can mail these in a regular envelope so $10 + $1.00 shipping = $11.00 total. Paypal, check, money order, car parts, whatever. :D That's my introductory price. I'd be happy to never make another set but if they work out... ?

The big vendors might see these and start selling them. I wonder what they would charge? :p

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Bob,
what address can I send the money to? Your attempt looks way better than what Eckler was selling for $ 30.00.
I wonder if good old cellophane tape would be a good transfer medium for the letters?

bobs409

Administrator
Bob,
what address can I send the money to? Your attempt looks way better than what Eckler was selling for $ 30.00.
I wonder if good old cellophane tape would be a good transfer medium for the letters?

Will send a private message...

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob,
I believe the cellophane tape is way too sticky. There is a specific transfer tape/paper made specifically for transferring vinyl decal, some clear and some colored. I've used masking tape with good results. The clear transfer material would probably work best with these small letters, you would be able to see where you are applying them. JMO

bobs409

Administrator
I never tried regular tape. I'll have to experiment with it. Probably too sticky like Jim said but maybe that invisible tape might work.

I bought clear transfer tape and a paper type and I think both have their uses. The paper type doesn't seem to work well with this vinyl, it won't pick up the vinyl for me but I haven't tried it on such small pieces. The clear seems more sticky and works good on larger things.

For my own use so far mostly making racing decals, I've been using either blue painters tape or regular masking tape with great success. Down side is you can't see thru it. (well, you can see a little) ;)

Brodie: I'll put a piece of both paper and clear transfer tape in with the decals so you can try them both.

Your the crash dummy, we want a full report of how this goes! :D

bobs409

Administrator
Try for thermostat and water pump gaskets if your machine can do those.
Always seems I need them, when the parts store are either closed or out of stock.
Dave

Just did the water pump gaskets. Can't even tell the difference from the store bought! Here's the water pump:

DSCN2063.jpg

Not something to bother selling really as they are cheap enough to buy but will make my own from now on. :D