Cricut Maker cutting machine

bobs409

Administrator
Gotta new toy! This is a Cricut Maker cutting machine. It looks like a printer and operates similarly. It can cut 100's of different materials from tissue paper up to 3/32 balsa wood! I just whipped out a 409 vinyl decal and it's AWESOME!!! While it does many things I won't use it for (I'm not an arts & crafts person) but... I can make custom T shirts, decals, stencils, make my own gaskets and it can even engrave metal and make templates to etch glass. (and many, many more things...)

DSCN1790.jpg

DSCN1786.jpg

Some plans I have that should be do-able;

Engrave the shift patterns for my Jeep shifter knob inserts (how this whole idea came to be)

Make racing stickers for my garage wall. lol

Make various auto decals such as air cleaner, valve cover, under hood warning, etc.

engraving data plates, dash plaques, etc. Maybe now I can re-do those aluminum data plates the wrecker had that were too poor to restore.

cutting gaskets of almost any type

making a re-usable acetate template so I can paint the words on an oil filter cannister. (sort of like original, they were silk screened)

make vinyl letters for the tail gates on my trucks. (just bought a set for $8.95, now I can make my own and even start selling them)

make custom T shirts, coffee mugs, etc for the website or various ones to sell on ebay.

That's just a start. So many things I haven't even thought of yet. This thing is really amazing! More to come...

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob, my daughter has one of the Cricut machines. What model did you get? I have asked her what different things she can cut out, but she keeps telling me she can only use the graphics that come with the different font programs from Cricut. I think she either doesn't know or she doesn't want me to know , so I don't start using it.:D Can you make up your own designs?

bobs409

Administrator
Bob, my daughter has one of the Cricut machines. What model did you get? I have asked her what different things she can cut out, but she keeps telling me she can only use the graphics that come with the different font programs from Cricut. I think she either doesn't know or she doesn't want me to know , so I don't start using it.:D Can you make up your own designs?

I went for the best one called "Maker", not cheap at 4 bills! (Michaels has it on sale for 379.99 for 1 more day) You can do anything with it. They (Cricut) offers many free art and fonts as well as ones you can buy but you can upload any image or fonts you want. Google images has just about anything you can imagine so I wouldn't bother paying for any myself. It also runs any fonts that are already on your computer. Their site has many short video's on anything you could possibly want to know. Youtube has tons too! I spent a lot of time looking at all of those before I decided to buy.

I will probably make and sell decals to recoup some of my investment. (winter time)

bobs409

Administrator
Doing a little practicing since it's sooo damn hot lately, can't work outside! :sweat

Did a few decals for my garage door. The blue Chevrolet bowtie and the SS396 I might do on a T shirt for myself to test that out. (the decals below the 3 on top are real stickers, not ones I made) Mine stick better to the textured garage door anyway. :p

DSCN1795.jpg

I built an aluminum rack for my machining parallels so there was a perfect time to design and create decals for that. Fractional size on the right and decimal on the left.

DSCN1796.jpgDSCN1797.jpgDSCN1798.jpgDSCN1799.jpgDSCN1791.jpg

Cleaning up the artwork or creating it is the time consuming part. After that, just load the product and push a few buttons! :D

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Here is a money making idea for you. Make the dry transfer letters for 62 Impala dash switches. Ecklers was selling some junk for $ 40.00 that were the wrong font and spacing and the clear carrier film was too thick to allow the letters to be burnished and actually transfer. Other than that, they were perfect. Ecklers has since (thankfully) discontinued them.

bobs409

Administrator
Made a few new trinkets. How about a 409 Turbo Fire license plate or T shirt? :D (might be available to buy in the future)

Also did a Chevelle T shirt and a security yard sign on aluminum plate.

Back to working on cars tomorrow, the heat wave should be pulling out...

DSCN1808.jpgDSCN1812.jpgDSCN1811.jpgDSCN1810.jpg