CROSSRAM M/T 348 dual quad?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I came across the ebay ad on the "409 crossram" with 2 holleys and can't decide if its real. I say that because I didn't know there was a small intake journal M/T crossram made?
409 crossram intake on ebay

I spoke to the owner at length (who specializes in selling intakes of all kinds on ebay) and he seem's to think its the real deal M/T brand but didn't know about the difference between most 409 and 348 intakes. Yes we all know about the few small journal heads that came on some 409s but would M/T make a small jounal high performance intake? If so then how many are there if there are only 50 M/T ever made. (so I've heard)

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 83
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 83
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 78

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have only seen and heard of large port because specifically it wouldn't make sense to put money in a 348in application and expect the world from a Crossram when any 409 with a single carb would beat it. (poke at my 348 buddies.)

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is there any documentation, books or ads that talked about them? Is it one of the 50 total crossrams M/T made or a totally separate batch? How many of these (boat anchors) did they make? :read

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I can't really see a company that big tooling up such a small run of parts such as manifolds for sale to the masses,It would likely take at least 100 to be anything like profitable.I've heard that 50 number passed around,but they show up quite often for the large port stuff.Now maybe 50 in the small port engines,but even that sounds low.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I know the production numbers of engines. The intakes are all we are talking about. I would agree with there being way more large port than small BUT the small ports are only different in flange style so it wouldn't be much to set up for that switch. Especially if you thought it through ahead of time. M/T was no fool.

427John

Well Known Member
It would be interesting to see a small port and large port manifold side by side,the fact they did away with the bolt hole between the ports leaves the door open for the possibility of using the same casting for both and machining the port openings differently.As far as labeling it a 348 crossram it could very well have been aimed at the hydro cam 409's which used the same small port opening,back then a hop up job was commonly limited to a cam and induction swap with the really serious guys maybe pulling the heads for a port job.Besides it wasn't unheard of to fit crossram induction to a sub 400 cubic inch engine the mopar 383 being a good example and I believe they were even available on the 361's.Depending on the length of port separation they could provide a tremendous boost to midrange power which would be even more attractive on the smaller engines.I'm not that familiar with the configuration of the runners inside the M/T intakes so I don't know if this is the case just pointing it out as a possibility.