CROSSRAM M/T 348 dual quad?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
First small port one I've ever heard of. Seems unusual to run dual carbs on a small port engine?

So Tenxal, did you have this intake installed and if so, how did it perform? And if installed, what was your setup in terms of block and heads?

Thanks in advance!
TomK

tenxal

Well Known Member
So Tenxal, did you have this intake installed and if so, how did it perform? And if installed, what was your setup in terms of block and heads?
Thanks in advance!
TomK

Tom, I never installed it. My plan was for it to go on my 348-280 to replace the factory intake and carbs. Somehow, even at that early age, my teenage brain knew it would be a bad idea. I traded it even up for a complete 409-425 intake and carbs setup. :doh

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for all of the information guys. It would seem to be a lost cause overall to use a 348 cross ram for anything but looks only. Unless you are in a racing class that only allows for changing intakes there just isn't a performance advantage to using this part vs buying a nice Mcquillen, CRW, Edelbrock or Speed-Port outside of the crossram look alone. Its cool to learn a little bit of history but I think the seller of the intake is way off. The money here would be better spent elsewhere on any build.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
First small port one I've ever heard of. Seems unusual to run dual carbs on a small port engine?

Thanks in advance!
TomK
Thanks for all of the information guys. It would seem to be a lost cause overall to use a 348 cross ram for anything but looks only. Unless you are in a racing class that only allows for changing intakes there just isn't a performance advantage to using this part vs buying a nice Mcquillen, CRW, Edelbrock or Speed-Port outside of the crossram look alone. Its cool to learn a little bit of history but I think the seller of the intake is way off. The money here would be better spent elsewhere on any build.

This is a first for me also....... I had never heard of the small port Mickey Thompson cross ram intake..... The cost may be prohibitive....... but if the W block is what really turns your “crank” ( pun intended ) I can see or understand wanting said intake for 348........the “how rare feature” is going to make it command good money........... I can’t believe for as long as I’ve been Interested in 348-409’s, I had never heard That a small port was offered...... obviously with the Offenhauser’s but not with the Mickey Thompson.......My guess is, performance wise ........it was almost or every bit as good as the large port

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Actually there are far more rare dual quad intakes made for 348/409 than this. Weiand made tall Dual quad tunnel rams and a short dual quad intakes for spread bore Quadrajet carbs. I would love to find one of those. Rare doesn't always mean worth more.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Keep in mind he has a modified piece (literally ground off the M/T and casting number with tapped unnecessary bolt holes into the intake runners). This is a unique piece with a unique problem. Most 348 owners want a 409. Most 409 owners don't wish to step down to a 348 and everyone starts with the idea that they want a 409 not a 348 before they do the math. I actually tell everyone to buy a 348 and stroke it. You want the look but don't want to spend big bucks then its the only way to go. Some one will buy it for something but as stated before rare doesn't mean worth more.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Keep in mind he has a modified piece (literally ground off the M/T and casting number with tapped unnecessary bolt holes into the intake runners). This is a unique piece with a unique problem. Most 348 owners want a 409. Most 409 owners don't wish to step down to a 348 and everyone starts with the idea that they want a 409 not a 348 before they do the math. I actually tell everyone to buy a 348 and stroke it. You want the look but don't want to spend big bucks then its the only way to go. Some one will buy it for something but as stated before rare doesn't mean worth more.
Good luck telling this to the seller!

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I don’t believe the alterations made to the cross ram intake make it less valuable to somebody who wants a 348 with a nostalgia look and something very unique....... whether it’s to put it in an old Coupe or some other hot rod.......And it’s an aftermarket part it’s not going to be driven up by it’s pristine condition like it what if it was an experimental / original GM part like the Z11 parts...........from a hobbyist standpoint......... it’s just a cool piece

427John

Well Known Member
The value of the intake basically boils down to what someone is willing to pay for it,whether he finds someone who wants it that bad is anybody's guess.To state that a small port performance intake would be an excercise in futility would be looking at it strictly with hindsight,you have to remember that until late 61-early 62 there was nothing better and then only in limited quantities and usually entailed buying a new car.There were plenty of bored and/or stroked 348's and possibly a few early 61 409's that had been hopped up with bigger cams and highly ported small port heads that could easily have made use of that intake.Enlarged and souped up 348's is hardly a recent development,surely everybody remembers that enterprising hot rodders have been able massively overwhelm the bottom end components of 348-409's rpm and horsepower wise since day 1.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well, I hope to help him find a new owner for it that will actually build and run it. When I came here and found so few people had ever heard or seen one, i knew it was special. Nothing makes me more mad than seeing people hord just to collect dust on it. Thankfully the 348 crossram is in good hands. He knows and sells intakes. I want to see this intake being used.