Cruise Control on Facebook - 1962?

Junky

Well Known Member
Thanks Fuzz... I purchased the unit to use on my 1962, even though it is a 1963 unit. They are close enough that most people will not know the difference. If I find another that is a 1962, I will probably upgrade my 1962 back to original. thanks again.. Junk

Junky

Well Known Member
Yes, and no... He sent me everything that I needed with the exception of the alternator adjusting bracket. Called his grandson, who was the intermediary on the purchase, and he said that his grandfather needed the bracket for his 409 engine. I could probably pry it loose, if I can find another to send him. Anyone have a spare that they would be willing to part with? This has stopped me in my tracks as far as installing the unit.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Anybody on here have spare cruise control brackets that bolt in for the brake switches or the wiper fuid bottler relocate bracket for 65 or 66 set up?

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Yes, and no... He sent me everything that I needed with the exception of the alternator adjusting bracket. Called his grandson, who was the intermediary on the purchase, and he said that his grandfather needed the bracket for his 409 engine. I could probably pry it loose, if I can find another to send him. Anyone have a spare that they would be willing to part with? This has stopped me in my tracks as far as installing the unit.

Junky,

For clarification - you’re looking for a regular 409 alternator adjusting bracket so you can get the cruise control adjusting bracket? Seems like if he advertised a cruise control unit, you should get everything.

Fuzz

MAGA

Junky

Well Known Member
This is correct. He should have sent me everything to install it, however, he is using the alternator top bracket on his 409 engine. If I can locate one for his car, I know that he will make the trade. I had to tell him of the brake pedal brackets and switch were also needed. He did a good job of putting all the bolts back in the holes where they belong, so it makes it easy to install, with no lost hardware.

Junk

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have one of those curved alternator brackets for a 62 cruise control made from an original as I recall for my 62 Chevy impala 327 with factory air and a factory alternator. It’s still on the car but without the cruise unit, which is gone.

Paul

Junky

Well Known Member
That must have left a large hole in the dash when you removed it, or is the engine in a different car? Might you or anyone else have a 1961 /1962 cruise control switch and / or a cruise control switch knob and button? Thanks Junk

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I never installed the cruise on my 62, I just tested it on the engine, to see what it was going to look like.
I actually tested a used 62 cruise unit for mounting on the engine ( I sold the used unit about 15 years ago).

As to the cruise switch and knob and button, I do not know about any for sale. I know one guy who has cruise units on his 61’s, they are not for sale.
Paul

Junky

Well Known Member
The knob for setting the speed on my car is going to be a 1963 design knob. I just found in one of my parts book, that the 1961/1962 knob is a different part number. Could someone with a 1961/62 Cruise Control please post a picture of your knob? Here is the picture of the one that I have. thanks JunkMVC-004L.JPG

Junky

Well Known Member
I called the seller over the weekend, and explained that I needed the alternator bracket. I gave him the part number that is stamped into the bracket, so he would know that it was the correct one. He located the bracket, and sent it to me and it arrived today. He had painted it black, but once winter comes, I intend to send all the bracket out to have them re-plated.
I hope to get this and some other projects done before Labor Day car show.

Junky

Well Known Member
I tackled the black paint today, and to my surprise, the black paint pealed off with a razor blade on the flat sides of the bracket. He had primed it, and then top coated it with gloss black. The difficult part was getting the paint off of the edges, and on the inside of the adjusting hole. Pecked away at it for about 2 hours, and finally resorted to using acetone to finish up the job. Not certain if I should send it out for plating, or just leave it with the patina of an old part. Either way, I am just happy to have it. MVC-001L.JPGMVC-002L.JPG

Junky

Well Known Member
Well, the saga of cruise control specific parts continues. Yesterday, I mounted the brackets, and got the "brain" installed. Moved onto installing the switch into the dash, and that required removing the brain again to get enough slack in the cable to mount the 1963 switch into the 1962 switch bezel. Moving at warp speed, I then realized that I had to remove the switch again to connect the electrical wire to the switch, so off comes the "brain" again, and I then realize the the wire to the wiring harness is too short, so I had to make up a jumper wire. Good thing that I saved some old wire harnesses just for this purpose. Then I move onto trying to figure out how the shaft from the "brain" hooks up to the carburetor linkage. It just didn't look correct, so back to read the instructions again for about the 20th time. This is when I realized that the swivel that goes into the rubber and plastic grommet on the carburetor linkage is not long enough to the arm from the "brain" to connect to it. Upon closer examination of the instructions, you are supposed to remove the swivel from the accelerator pedal linkage and install that onto one end of the linkage from the brain, and use the swivel that is supplied in the kit on the accelerator pedal linkage. Problem is that I didn't get that part with the used kit, because I didn't know about it, and the former owner of the cruise unit is using it on his present accelerator linkage. Here comes the problem, if I take mine off to send to him, my car is down until I get the correct one back from him. I already know that he doesn't want to disable his car either by sending it to me before he gets one to use on his car. Might anyone have one of these swivels on a spare accelerator rod that they don't need??? Today I stopped at 2 salvage yards to see if they might have a 1960's GM car in there, and they both gave me that deer in the headlights look when I asked the question. I don't think that anyone behind the counter was even alive in the 1960's!
If you are not certain of the part that I am referring to, it is located in the top picture that pvs409 posted above, in the plastic bag that is located in the picture with the black speedometer cable. If looks like my drawing below... No, I am not an artist, but I can draw flies! Quote from my father.

MVC-018L.JPG