Cut-n-Buff

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
James is off to MO-Kan with the BA409 car and I'm stuck here in town with a bad (and increasingly painful) left hip :(.

Being driven by blue collar tendencies but limited in mobility I've had to stop doing things that require effort from my hips so I've been focusing on doing a bit of "cut and buff" on the 62 Biscayne. This is a 25+ year old paint job that had water spots and other minor surface deterioration. I started with a cleaner then moved to a bit more aggressive compounds and seem to have a majority of the water spots out but still have some sections to go over. Black sure does show everything!

Here's a shot of the upper level, supposed to be for shiny cars that are finished (I am currently violating that rule of thumb):

Cut and Buff.jpg

I broke that rule and moved a few "shiny cars" downstairs and worked on their surfaces as well, but with softer clean and polish compounds. The lower level is supposed to be for working on cars, not finished cars, so I've got things mixed up a bit for now:

63 SWC and 62 SS in basement.jpg

I just hope my arms and shoulders don't go the route of my knees and hips :).

Cheers!
TomK

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Tom, Cars look really nice. ....after having both shoulders operated on, I can assure you that you do not want the upper extremities to cause problems. Use good judgement ( and power tools) with "wax on...wax off" as Mr. Unagi says!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
My Father-in-Law who has had two knees, two hips and one shoulder replaced once commented that the most difficult recovery was after shoulder surgery. And he is religious about his physical therapy :).

Having spent time rubbing on things, it's time to take the SWC for a ride this afternoon :). Even with a bad left hip I can still force myself to drive a four speed car. The hard part is getting my rather long legs in and out of the driver's seat :).