Dan Gurney 1961 409 Impala

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a NOS original 61-62 rear antenna for the passenger side (this is the side that is live) and a nice used original front antenna. I also have NOS original antenna masts for the original antenna bases. The reproduction antennas sold for the rear are not correct -the portion in the trunk is way different than the originals. The same applies to the reproduction fender antenna -the portion inside the fender and inside the cowl is not correct.
Paul

Ed Foster

I have a NOS original 61-62 rear antenna for the passenger side (this is the side that is live) and a nice used original front antenna. I also have NOS original antenna masts for the original antenna bases. The reproduction antennas sold for the rear are not correct -the portion in the trunk is way different than the originals. The same applies to the reproduction fender antenna -the portion inside the fender and inside the cowl is not correct.
Paul
Thanks Paul. Pretty sure Dan's car just had the front one - is yours for sale?

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Thanks Tommy. Do you know where I might get some mats? Ciadella doesn't do the boot set...!
Ed,
All of the vendors like ShowCars, Hubbards etc have the trunk mats. They arent 100 percent correct but they are are close and probably the same people are making them for all the vendors

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Thanks Paul. Pretty sure Dan's car just had the front one - is yours for sale?

Yes mine is for sale. I looked it over and 90 % of it is NOS original GM including the antenna mast and the body of the antenna that holds the antenna mast. I might be missing one chrome piece for the fender that makes the antenna mount at a angle on the fender so the mast is vertical -I have 3/4 of them just have to make sure I have the right one (I have a friend that might have this part) .
I have the original GM installation instructions with lots of pictures on the instructions for the front antenna
I also have the original "actual size cut out" fender template used to cut the hole in the fender so the antenna ends up right over the factory hole in the top of the cowl for the antenna. My body shop guy just cut a hole in my friends 62 Chevy convertible to install a front antenna plus I have original fenders with factory antenna holes for comparison.

I looked at the old pictures of Dan's car racing in England on this post and I see a front antenna.
I have a NOS GM original front antenna on my 62 Impala Hardtop for pictures and comparison

The part number on my NOS antenna box is # 985128 (group 9 645) -my GM accessory book says 1962 (but I think 61 and 62 front antennas are the same.) If not I think I could get a 61 antenna from my friend who has 61's. 61 and 62 doors are the same and have to match the fenders and the factory antenna mount location is only 5 inches from the door edge.

Here are pictures of a 61-62 front antenna that is for sale
I have everything in these pictures and the part number is the same for what I listed above
http://www.autopartsobsolete.com/1961-62-chevrolet-impala-frt-fender-antenna-nos-gm-985128.html
Paul

Ed Foster

Yes mine is for sale. I looked it over and 90 % of it is NOS original GM including the antenna mast and the body of the antenna that holds the antenna mast. I might be missing one chrome piece for the fender that makes the antenna mount at a angle on the fender so the mast is vertical -I have 3/4 of them just have to make sure I have the right one (I have a friend that might have this part) .
I have the original GM installation instructions with lots of pictures on the instructions for the front antenna
I also have the original "actual size cut out" fender template used to cut the hole in the fender so the antenna ends up right over the factory hole in the top of the cowl for the antenna. My body shop guy just cut a hole in my friends 62 Chevy convertible to install a front antenna plus I have original fenders with factory antenna holes for comparison.

I looked at the old pictures of Dan's car racing in England on this post and I see a front antenna.
I have a NOS GM original front antenna on my 62 Impala Hardtop for pictures and comparison

The part number on my NOS antenna box is # 985128 (group 9 645) -my GM accessory book says 1962 (but I think 61 and 62 front antennas are the same.) If not I think I could get a 61 antenna from my friend who has 61's. 61 and 62 doors are the same and have to match the fenders and the factory antenna mount location is only 5 inches from the door edge.

Here are pictures of a 61-62 front antenna that is for sale
I have everything in these pictures and the part number is the same for what I listed above
http://www.autopartsobsolete.com/1961-62-chevrolet-impala-frt-fender-antenna-nos-gm-985128.html
Paul

Hi Paul - Apparently the original hole is still there if I look inside the wing so that bit's (hopefully) taken care of. Let me know how you get on with checking the parts and happy to get them if you're still happy to sell! Thanks so much.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Ed,
I have not forgotten about the 61 front antenna. I just purchased a missing chrome base piece (an original NOS GM piece) for the antenna that I have that is mostly NOS -GM
I will have everything together soon. We are gone for about 2 weeks . I now have everything for the antenna
including original instructions and a fender template to cut the hole in the fender.
Paul Stensland

Ed Foster

Ed,
I have not forgotten about the 61 front antenna. I just purchased a missing chrome base piece (an original NOS GM piece) for the antenna that I have that is mostly NOS -GM
I will have everything together soon. We are gone for about 2 weeks . I now have everything for the antenna
including original instructions and a fender template to cut the hole in the fender.
Paul Stensland

Thanks Paul - no panic, just keep me posted!

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This is one fantastic car with a great story behind it. I feel lucky to have been able to see it up close and in person. I’m glad to see it’s going to be on display and others will be able to enjoy it. If anyone ever gets the chance to see it don’t pass up the opportunity...:bow

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Ricky. You never did explain how you got the chance to see it up close and crawl around under it?????
Ok Dave... when I sold Verne Frantz the ‘61 586 heads I had for this project, I was leary about shipping them after a bad experience with UPS. Since he’s only about 6 hours away, I offered to deliver them. It was a fun little day trip for Loreen and I, it gave me a chance to visit with Verne who I hadn’t seen in quite a while and, it gave me the chance to see the car up close and personal, something I figured I might not get to do ever again. I ended up trading the 586 heads straight up for a very nice set of 583’s that were on the engine when it came from Australia. So for most people that would have been enough, but me in my eagerness to be involved in this project, offered to go to Indiana and deliver the the donor car that he purchased for the left hand drive conversion. When I brought it to them, I stayed two days and help them cut up and disassemble the donor car. I wish I would have been closer to go and help them with the conversion, but it just wasn’t in my cards. Verne was great about keeping me updated on what was going on, and sent me tons of pictures of the progress. So that is the story how I got to crawl all over what I would call the most significant ‘61 Impala that is in existence right now. I hope someday I get the chance to see it again.
Rick

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Ricky, that's great you got that close, The car has a bit of your story as well, this is fantastic.
The closest I ever got to the Gurney car was in late 79 early 80, I sent a letter to the editor of Street Rodder here in OZ about 61 Chevs, I had just bought my 61 Bel Air 4 door sedan, my letter made the magazine with a rather so and so reply about 61 chevs, but did say the Sport Coupes looked kind of nice, and in the reply was a picture and a reference to the Dan Gurney 61. In my neck of the woods I could count on 1 hand the number of 61 four door sedans, and 1 four door Impala hardtop made in France, RHD and turned up around 81.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yeah, way cool Rick:beer. Those nice 583's are actually NOS, never been on a running engine, Dad got them from Curt Harvey many moons ago. I remember the original cardboard GM boxes they were in, unfortunately they got chewed by rats and fell apart over many years.
Carl.... I had a suspicion that they might not have ever been run, but I wasn’t sure... I was planning on using them on my next engine, but I don’t know now..:rub I thought it was cool enough that they came all the way from Australia, but this makes them even better!