Dan Gurney 1961 409 Impala

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi Guys and Gals

Well, after 55 years in Australia the Gurney 409 is coming home. The car will be arriving in the USA in a few months. One of the first, if not the first 409 car to roll of the production line under the close eye of Mr Dan Gurney himself back in February 1961. A very interesting point with this car is that it is not an SS.upload_2017-5-20_11-26-25.jpegupload_2017-5-20_11-27-24.jpegupload_2017-5-20_11-43-43.jpegupload_2017-5-20_11-44-54.jpegupload_2017-5-20_11-46-4.jpegThat's Dan's friend, Laurie O'Neil, the Aussie man that bought the car off Dan Gurney at the track in England and brought it back to Australia in 1961.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Cool!!!!! Can you tell us where it is going? Did you and your dad restore it?
I remember in phone calls with Norman Beechey that he told me he knew where the car was. I told him he should buy it!!!!
Thinking back....I thought the Gurney car was a 2-door Biscayne. Wasn't that at the race in England?

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil, I'm not sure where it will be in the States, Verne Frantz is taking care of the car and he has all those and a lot more details, his email is Fine09@verizon.net

The car is not restored, basically as is in the photos. That is the original 61 409 engine block in the car.

The car that Gurney raced at the International Trophy meeting in May 1961, Silverstone England was this car.

Dan did also race a 1962 409 Biscayne in the US.

Last edited:

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not restored?
Wow that has got to be a great original paint job !
Guess if it was always a race car and never wrecked......kept inside....then with all the gingerbread back on it it will look outstanding!!!

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Not restored?
Wow that has got to be a great original paint job !
Guess if it was always a race car and never wrecked......kept inside....then with all the gingerbread back on it it will look outstanding!!!
That's not the original paint. Australia required the car to be converted to RH drive.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes, that's right Tommy. Due to our rules back then, the car was converted to right hand drive as soon as it arrived down here very late 1961 and was road registered early 1962. The movie of this thing flying around Silverstone with Dan at the wheel is incredible. We have it on DVD, I'll see if we can upload somehow. The history of this car is really interesting, Verne is piecing the story together. One thing that blew me away was that Bill Fowler in early 1961 drove the car from Las Vegas to New York on his honey moon before it was loaded on the ship for England. What a way to run in a fully prepped race car!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Years ago I had an occasion to meet Dan.

During our conversation I brought up the 409 he raced in Europe!
He laughed, smiled real big and said "how did you remember that?". Pleased that someone would remember.
He told me while it was fast in the straightaways, he had problems with a wheel, brakes and considerable body roll. It was as if he had just stepped out of the car and began reporting. Just look at the body roll in the photos.

Ever the gentleman, answering questions and engaging.

Very enjoyable visit!