Dan's 409 Project

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Now that spring has arrived in Salt Lake City, I launched my 409 rebuild project. Of course, the first task is to haul the beast out of the '63 Biscayne. I want to ask the 348/409 group to view the attached photo and tell me if I can pull the engine and transmission (as one assembly) without removing the radiator support assembly. The clearance looks close.
Dan Fults

Attachments

• 409 engine clearance.jpg
    409 engine clearance.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 15

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I think they may come out together. But I would rather remove the transmission than the core support.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Dan, I have always pulled my 409 with the muncie trans attached. Comes out fine without removing the core support. Leo

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It is easier though if you remove the transmission mounting member and allow the transmission to drop down.

Bill

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Many thanks, guys. I'll report back when the engine is on the stand. Removing the transmission mounting member is an excellent suggestion.
Dan

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Here's a photo of my wife, Carol, helping pull the 409 from our '63 Biscayne yesterday. I think that the load leveler, shown in the photo, was a big help angling the massive engine and tranny (as a single assembly) out of the car.

Attachments

• Shopgirl at work_ed.jpg
    Shopgirl at work_ed.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 12

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Ah, the sight of that 16-degree angle on the 348/409 block deck is enought to make a grown man cry! By the way, exactly how many oil gallery plugs are there in the 409 block? I count 4 along the bottom of the block on the left side, 2 behind the camshaft gear in the front, and 2 by the camshaft plug in the rear. They all appear to be unmoveable. Is that a job for the machine shop?
Dan Fults

Attachments

• 16 degrees_ed.jpg
    16 degrees_ed.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 5

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Here's a photo of my wife, Carol, helping pull the 409 from our '63 Biscayne yesterday. I think that the load leveler, shown in the photo, was a big help angling the massive engine and tranny (as a single assembly) out of the car.

Great pic and good luck with the re-build. I'm showing my wife the pic so she can see there are gals out there who enjoy helping their hubby (or significant other) in the garage!

I was just out in SLC a month or so ago for the opening round of the NCAA tourney. Really enjoyed the town and can't wait to go back.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey W-Motorhead , Here is a pic of my wife Giny helping out with the old racing decals on our '57s front fenders. She also helped out with assembling the block when it came back from the machinist. She is definitely a keeper also !:love:lovePictureKodak easy share photos 728.jpg

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Yes, K9, the female body is well-designed. Another asset, which I recently discovered, is my wife's skill at using her slender fingers to accurately place valve keepers while I struggle to keep the spring compressed.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Giny can show you the scar on her left index finger when the valve spring compressor slipped while she was putting in the keepers. She has received a few battle scars over the years.:(:cuss

:crazy:dance:cheers