Dan's project

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
My 409 went back on the motor mounts this weekend. Clearance for the big exhaust manifolds on the '63 425hp motor was a cause for much profanity. I hope it starts...:pray
Dan Fults

Attachments

• In she goes_ed.jpg
    In she goes_ed.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 15

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
We had the same problem, 2 years ago, Dan, when we installed my 409 in my 64. I tried to save some time, by installing the complete engine, and 4 speed, minus the carbs and distributor. It didn't matter which way, we angled the engine. The right exhaust manifold, would not clear the frame.:grumble When we got the manifold, past the frame, it scraped the firewall, and got hung-up. :cussVery frustrating.:eek After, we took off the manifold, the engine dropped right in.:doh All of us, learned a few new cuss words that day. Good Luck, with your project. I hope all goes well.:clap

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Clearance for the big exhaust manifolds on the '63 425hp motor was a cause for much profanity

Hahaha looks really clean in there tho. Nice touch painting the aluminum heads orange:cool: Post more pics and a video once you git er fired. Is this in the white '63 you have pictured??

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
My 6-month 409 rebuild project came to an end this weekend. I followed Bob's engine start-up protocol (posted on this website), including his advice to get a good night's sleep before the anxiety-filled day of reckoning. After months of body contortions on the floor of my garage, I feel like I am now in top physical condition! I am please to report that the beast started up immediately and is now rumbling to the tune of Bruneau-designed Ross pistons and Comp Cams hydraulic flat-tappet camshaft. The attached photos shows the fresh engine in my '63 Biscayne. Many thanks to the 348/409 group for invaluable advice along the way.

Dan Fults

PS Dang! I just noticed in the photo that I installed the upper radiator hose backwards.

Attachments

• final state_3_ed.jpg
    final state_3_ed.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 15

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Congratulations!!! Nothing more exciting (and relieving) as a successful startup on a fresh build!!

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Congrats....enjoy!!!!!!.hope you get some good seat time before winter sets in!!!!!!!