Darkfader new to the forum

Darkfader

Hello all. I found this forum while googling some questions about my 64 Impala. I currently own a ‘64 Impala SS 409 and I also have a 2008 Corvette Z06 with the 427 LS7. I’ll probably be spending most of my time in the 409 section of the forum hoping to get my Impala squared away. Here’s a few pics of the cars.
I have limited info on the history of the 64, so I’m having a hard time figuring some things out. I know my fan shroud is incorrect and I’ve got some fluid leaks. Judging by casting numbers, it appears I have a truck 409 from ‘62. The Muncie 4sp appears to be from 63-65. Hopefully I didn’t buy a clone but either way, I won’t be selling it so if I can get the leaks stopped, and the car shifting smooth, I’ll be perfectly content with it. I’ll limit my questions the appropriate subsections.435F8E57-B509-480F-8BFC-6F8C5CA55889.jpeg
F092D1AB-9F33-48E3-B579-F10BB45E0C81.jpeg4A88022E-2D1E-4C87-B338-A5F041A3588D.jpeg6040D4FF-696B-440E-871A-D0430909D85C.jpeg

Junky

Well Known Member
Welcome to the group.. Good looking Chevy.. The 409 that is.... LOL.... The Vette is also an interesting car, and it looks like it is very fast. I am going to guess that you are a firefighter.

Darkfader

Welcome to the group.. Good looking Chevy.. The 409 that is.... LOL.... The Vette is also an interesting car, and it looks like it is very fast. I am going to guess that you are a firefighter.

Don’t like the Covette?!?!? It’s certainly a very different car than the 409 but man, is it fun to drive! Everyone should own one at least once in their lives. Yes I am a firefighter/paramedic.

Welcome aboard!
Thank you, happy to be here!

Welcome!! Both look like very nice cars!
Thanks, both are drivers, I just want to give the Impala the attention it needs. I’m consider pulling the engine to refresh gaskets. Probably the best bet for this car. All the rubber underneath is dry and cracking, and I can imagine engine gaskets are just at the point of failing.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome!! Those are two very good looking cars!! Great color on the 64. Good luck on the getting the car fixed to your liking. They don’t sound major at all. Lots of great knowledge and help here and a few “opinions” to boot. I know being a firefighter your thick skinned so you’ll fit right in. :salute

Darkfader

Definitely glad I found a place where so much knowledge exists. My dad has been my only source of info up to now and while he has owned many of these cars over the years, he doesn’t have all the answers. Since my OP, I realized my block is not the truck block but a ‘62 passenger car block according to the casting number. Things I know I need are flywheel/clutch upper and lower dust covers, I’d like to have the proper fan shroud, my transmission doesn’t shift into first and second very well while moving (which I hope proper adjustment of shift linkage may cure) and I need to replace all rubber suspension bushings, and would like to go ahead and install new coil springs as I’m sure these are tired. Pretty much every fluid has a small leak as well. I have a decent garage with a lift and lots of tools, and a enough knowledge to make me dangerous, so I’ll be doing all the work myself.
My goal is to make a solid plan after plenty of research and have a nice winter project to correct the issues. The body is in great shape, as is the interior. I am interested in rewiring the car using the American auto wire kit so that all that is fresh as well. My wallet is cringing already, but I know the end product will be worth every penny.

Junky

Well Known Member
Don’t like the Covette?!?!? It’s certainly a very different car than the 409 but man, is it fun to drive! Everyone should own one at least once in their lives. Yes I am a firefighter/paramedic.

Thank you, happy to be here!

Thanks, both are drivers, I just want to give the Impala the attention it needs. I’m consider pulling the engine to refresh gaskets. Probably the best bet for this car. All the rubber underneath is dry and cracking, and I can imagine engine gaskets are just at the point of failing.

It isn't that I don't like them, it is just that I like the full size Chevy's more. I owned a couple back in the 1960's, but I always felt uncomfortable driving them. I was involved in rescue services back then, and had seen many Corvette crashes with serious injuries, which gave me both a fear and a respect for their power. While full sized steel cars of the time might not have been any safer, I did feel more comfortable driving them. For the most part, they didn't have the raw power of the Vette.

To address "pulling the engine to refresh gaskets", you might find once you get it out, that a complete rebuild might be the better way to go. I would do both a compression and leak down test before pulling it to determine its true condition. If it is in good condition, possibly honing the cylinders, re-ringing the pistons, polishing the crank with new bearings, and a new cam and lifters will be all that is needed. Back in the 1960's we called this the poor mans rebuild. Unless you are going for the all out power that you can get, which can get very expensive quickly. Like you, I know enough to get by, but not enough to build a race engine. I would leave that to people more knowledgeable than myself.

Darkfader

It isn't that I don't like them, it is just that I like the full size Chevy's more. I owned a couple back in the 1960's, but I always felt uncomfortable driving them. I was involved in rescue services back then, and had seen many Corvette crashes with serious injuries, which gave me both a fear and a respect for their power. While full sized steel cars of the time might not have been any safer, I did feel more comfortable driving them. For the most part, they didn't have the raw power of the Vette.

To address "pulling the engine to refresh gaskets", you might find once you get it out, that a complete rebuild might be the better way to go. I would do both a compression and leak down test before pulling it to determine its true condition. If it is in good condition, possibly honing the cylinders, re-ringing the pistons, polishing the crank with new bearings, and a new cam and lifters will be all that is needed. Back in the 1960's we called this the poor mans rebuild. Unless you are going for the all out power that you can get, which can get very expensive quickly. Like you, I know enough to get by, but not enough to build a race engine. I would leave that to people more knowledgeable than myself.

I figure once it’s out, that’s most likely what will happen. I’m not interested in eeking every horse I can get out of it. It’s definitely a cruiser that will rarely see more than 55mph. My main goal is a reliable cruiser that keeps all its fluids where they belong. It seems to run very well now, but like I said it’s leaky and I can’t have that.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Welcome aboard! And nice pair of "drivers" :) :) :).

Before you tear in to that engine,you might consider checking it's vitals (compression, leak down test, etc.). Then proceed based on that knowledge.

Quick question, why did you at first think it might be truck block (the 409 engine) and how did you decide otherwise, from the casting numbers or the suffix stampings? Either way it's been "converted" to what appears to be a large port top end complete with dual quads :).

Let us know if you have any questions as you move along in your project to refurbish.

Cheers! TomK

P.S. Some of us do drive our Corvettes as well