Dashboard sheen

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
OK so I've repainted the dash with the correct Red color, then topped it with a Satin Clear to cut the glare. It looks good.

Also painted he steering column and wheel, but did not clear it as yet. These are now somewhat shiny, different than the dash.

So is the column and/or the steering wheel supposed to match the dash in sheen? The wheel looks pretty good shiny :).

Here's a pic FWIW, maybe you can tell the difference in sheen.

Steering wheel finish.jpg

This is for the 1962 Biscayne project. Thanks in advance!

TomK

bobs409

Administrator
Without looking at my car with black interior, I am certain the column is a flat black. It appears maybe flatter than the dash but could just be me. Wheel is gloss. These parts on my car have never been touched so I know they are correct. (about the only damn things I didn't have to work on!) :D

bobs409

Administrator
Best I could find in my photo's is this one. Not sure on this but my dash always appeared like there were more than 1 sheen used. The very top you can see, then the glove box door, panel in front of speedometer, column all appear to be flatter! Maybe I can learn something from this thread too??

DSCN5002.jpg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
When I did my "fake" four speed column on the '62SS I kept the wheel original (it was kinda shiny) and did the column shiny as well. The dash is original and has a "matte" or "satin" finish (not shiny).

I think for this build I will keep the wheel shiny and do the column just as I did the dash, with a matte clear finish. At least that's what I'm thinking now....

TomK

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Tom We have an unrestored always garage kept 63 380/409 with 30,000 +/- miles in my town that I do references with. I'll get some photos and observations of it's red interior but as always the automotive archaeologist I suspect has nailed the subject again.
Robert