Dave Strickler's Old Reliable 2 & 4

Strick

Attached is a photo you will all enjoy.:clap
Old Reliable 2 and on the right you can see the side of Old Reliable 4 on the truck.

Merry Christmas

Attachments

• 63 Sep OR2 OR4-small.jpg
    63 Sep OR2 OR4-small.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 280

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Great picture!!!! I remember seeing Dave run at Emporia, Virginia. I guess it was in 1962. They were running a car just like the one in the picture and flat towing it with a 62 Chevrolet station wagon.
Thanks so much for sharing

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Mike

thanks for the christmas present. i would guess that's your dad under the car and the grump with that silly hat standing on the other side of the car.

Strick

gearhead409 said:
thanks for the christmas present. i would guess that's your dad under the car and the grump with that silly hat standing on the other side of the car.
I think it's the Grump under the car. I don't know who is under that hat.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Mike

it must have been the hat that threw me off. grump wore a hat something like that back then. i never met your dad but did eat dinner with the grump once at (of all places) Frisch's Big Boy in springfield oh. about 1970.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Pictures like these bring back wonderful memories for all of the members. Keep them coming "please".
:clap

CHEV601234

Well Known Member
Neat!

:)
Great photo Mike. Thanks!! Question: do you remember what happened to that left front fender? Was it the aluminum set by chance in prep for a match race?
They did have an aluminum set painted to match that was used fore match racing didn't they?
Have a Merry Christmas!!!!!!:)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Possibly?

"Question: do you remember what happened to that left front fender? Was it the aluminum set by chance in prep for a match race?"

That dent looks like it is the exact form of Grumpy's knee-to-upper-leg. What a lasting impression :).

TomK

P.S. Really great pic, I just love 'em! Thanks!

M

MK IISS

I believe the front fenders were damaged when the car slipped of the unloading ramps. The car has A/S on the side so it would have steel fenders.

CHEV601234

Well Known Member
???

I thought that car was only flat towed.

Mike, Happy Christmas to you and your Mom. I'll light a candle for your Dad on Sunday.

Loafer409

Supporting Member 1
Great memories... I owned 2 of those, one was even the same color...the 58 Ford, not the Old Reliable....:roll :roll :roll ...actually I loved it....sorry guys

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
uh oh

Loafer409 said:
Great memories... I owned 2 of those, one was even the same color...the 58 Ford, not the Old Reliable....:roll :roll :roll ...actually I loved it....sorry guys

I won't get banned if I admit to having once owned a 1958 Ford Convertible will i?

(PS, GREAT picture! I's like to see more old 60's shots.)

Strick

Tom Kochtanek said:
"Question: do you remember what happened to that left front fender? Was it the aluminum set by chance in prep for a match race?"

That dent looks like it is the exact form of Grumpy's knee-to-upper-leg. What a lasting impression :).

TomK

P.S. Really great pic, I just love 'em! Thanks!

A/S would have steel fenders. I thought the wheel came off while flat towing,:rolleyes: I have heard the falling off the ramps story but that doesn't add up with the other slides showing them flat towing the car on that trip to Indy.:dunno

Thanks,
Merry Christmas