Decoded VIN & Cowl Plate, How did I get a 348 and a PG?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
From Decoding my VIN - H59L 183587
And I get - Your car is a: 1271 series 8 cylinder sedan Delivery or an 1280 El Camino. Year is a 1959 and it was built in Los Angeles, CA

Both the 348 and the PG (based on casting) are correct for a '59. Since I don't have build sheet, is there any reason to think the engine or transmission is not original? Or the original customer ordered an upgrade?

Not anything important but a curiosity on my part. Especially since the trim doesn't have the crossed flags, just the big V.

The cowl tag info just for grins:
Style 59-1280
Body VN 5468
Trim 803
Paint 936A
ACC EZI FR BD

Any thoughts?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What's the code on the front pad passenger side in front of the valve cover?

Where is the fuel line routed? Is it 3/8 or 5/16?

No way to know for sure, but there are things that will rule it out or make it possibly the original block.

Don

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As Don said you need the suffix code in front of the passenger head. The cowl tag only identifies paint, interior, glass and accessories on the body and has no information related to the drivetrain and the same goes for the Vin.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here is the info from the block:
Block Casting - 3755011
Date Code - H1958
Block Stamp - T924H

I don't remember what size fuel lines I had. I think the fuel lines ran inside the tunnel but I can't say for sure since those were removed in September.
Thanks for any insight! :beer

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
According to our site,250hp,turboglide.I could see someone swapping in a 348,but a turboglide? Does the truck still have the shift indicator,if so ,the powerglige pattern is prndl,the turboglide is prndgr.I hope this helps.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
According to our site,250hp,turboglide.I could see someone swapping in a 348,but a turboglide? Does the truck still have the shift indicator,if so ,the powerglige pattern is prndl,the turboglide is prndgr.I hope this helps.
PowerGlide is what I have.
Perhaps it started life at the factory with a 283 & and a PG. And someone paid for a change at the dealership for the 348 and kept the PG.
Here is a link to the PG I pulled out of it:
http://www.348-409.com/forum/thread...-1958-block-and-rebuilding.25060/#post-214325

I'm just trying to satiate a curiosity, not the end of the world if this goes unsolved.
Thanks!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
PowerGlide is what I have.
Perhaps it started life at the factory with a 283 & and a PG. And someone paid for a change at the dealership for the 348 and kept the PG.
Here is a link to the PG I pulled out of it:
http://www.348-409.com/forum/thread...-1958-block-and-rebuilding.25060/#post-214325

I'm just trying to satiate a curiosity, not the end of the world if this goes unsolved.
Thanks!

I think you missed Jack's point. The H code is for a turboglide, to have replaced it with a powerglide would be very common however good chance the steering column was not, if the turboglides shift pattern is still there then that would give reasonable proof that your car came with that engine.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Me miss a point? Heck, I've been known to push on a pull door :doh
Once I dig through the boxes of parts from the interior, I'll double check. However, I'm really certain the gear selection did not include GR.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
More than likely was a 283 pg car and somebody changed the engine to the 348.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I found a piece of my fuel line and it was 3/8th. Somehow, the '59 came with a 348 & PG.
Guess I just got lucky!
Too bad it didn't come with the crossed flags emblems, just have to pick some up once I get further along.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Phil, I just checked in the 59/60 shop manual and it says that only the dual exhaust cars were 3/8" fuel line. According to the manual, the only two engines that got duals were the 348 and the 283 with fuel injection. Leo

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil check? I thought you could get duals with a powerpack 283 in 59.

Don

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This did have dual exhaust, looks like it had either glass packs or similar mufflers. Since '59 is a bit before my time, I don't know if someone would have swapped out a 283 with FI for a 348 and a carb. I do know the car didn't have a return fuel line or even an entry point for a return line in the tank.
Any way, thanks for helping me satiate my curiosity :beer

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
ALL of those cars ,from what I remember,had dual exhaust when the engine was equipped from the factory with a 4bbl.carb.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sure.....make me do all the work.;)

Dual exhaust was standard on 283 with FI and all 348's......RPO 220 (dual exhaust) was optional on all other 283's.
That said, I strongly suspect that very few cars were ordered with RPO 410 4 barrel carb equip without RPO 220 as well......I've never seen one.
It's all in HERE :deal bookmark it
1959 Chevrolet

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think the 4 bbl V8's had 3/8" fuel line. also had dual exhaust.
Sure.....make me do all the work.;)

Dual exhaust was standard on 283 with FI and all 348's......RPO 220 (dual exhaust) was optional on all other 283's.
That said, I strongly suspect that very few cars were ordered with RPO 410 4 barrel carb equip without RPO 220 as well......I've never seen one.
It's all in HERE :deal bookmark it
1959 Chevrolet

The question is: what came with 3/8" fuel line?