Deep fried mushroom

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Pulled the intake off the engine this morning. #8 exhaust lifter was mushroomed! The exhaust lobe is all but gone, deep grooves cut into the lobe deep. Not a pretty site. I hope the oil filter caught the shrapnel !:cuss

Fat.... What are you using for valve springs ?.... pressure ?
I've been trying to come up with a set for my stocker. The guys at Lee Brothers ( experienced Stock/Super Stock shop ) are recommending the use of a set of EXTREMELY expensive lifters that tolerate huge spring pressures. I don't think YOU should be needing that kind of stuff though.
You should be 100-120 lbs seat... yes ?

nah... I've been listening to what you've been saying about your engine... had no doubt that you were on top of it.
Weird, man..... I still have never wiped out a cam. ( yes, I'm knock'n on my coconut right now ! )

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
wiped

Yeah, this is my first that I can not explain. # 7 and 8 recieve oil from the oil gallery first, so maybe a peice of trash stopped the lifter from turning and wiped the lobe. Could have been a bad lifter tho. Maybe the lobe was ground incorrectly, who knows??? Comp says send it in we'll look at it! Maybe I'll get a warranty refund! New cam and lifters here already. Have to pull some main caps and check for damage, I suppose the oil pump is trash also.:cry

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fat, Is this a different block that you have no history on??
Aubrey??? he knows what I went through,,,,
If so,,, you could have that dreaded curse that I had.
Miss aliagned lifter bores,,,,,,,,Say it ain`t so !! NO CURE!!!
If you eat another cam $hit can that block and freshen another one.
Been there,,,done that !! It`s not worth the frustration of watching your hard earned money and time go up in metal shavings !!
If you`re going to use that same block do yourself a favor and tear it back down and wash the block and all parts. That metal will be everywhere.,,,,,dq

oldimpala

Well Known Member
Fixing Lifter Bore

DQ-

There most definetly is a cure for mis-aligned lifter bores.. You've gota find a competent machine shop, but you can have it overbored, and sleeved (Basically like a cracked cylinder). It's not cheap, I did it in an older RR motor that had poor oiling to one spot, and spare blocks were $5K and up. I basically had an egg shaped lifter bore in one spot; thankfully the restriction was near the valvetrain, and it was easily repaired, sleeved, and I was on my way. (Been 3 years, and a few hundred miles since the rebuild, I'm not finished with the car yet) It's also how they keep lifters in Pro-Mod motors; and you're not under the pressure, or HP those make. (If you are, I want to build my motor like yours.. ) It might be more cost effective, though, to replace a W-Motor, and keep the block aside for a spare....

I've also known people in two other old car owners groups with significantly more costly motors to replace who hav had similar work done. If you still have the block, you can ship it out here, and I have an exceptional machinist who can get the work done for ya....

-Andy/Oldimpala

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
lifter bore

Yeah dq,This engine was from a tractor trailer rig that I found in a field here in NE Ohio. When I tore it down I found a solid camshaft had been used! I am going to have a look at this camshaft, I saved it and threw it under the bench. I'll look at the wear pattern on # 8 and see if it looks different than the others. If this cam lived in that truck I would think that the lifter bore would be ok. :cuss