Diaper Pictures

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If getting oil on the tires and then being sliced open or launched into the air from steal barriers is old school fun, I’ll take the new approach.

I won’t race at a 1/4 mile track with steal barriers and am considering not running any 1/8 mile with them either.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Don't like steel barriers either. Now if I could just find a strech of pavement surrounded with nothing but a field of grass that would be my "field of dreams" Understand this is pretty much just a dream, as life just don't work that way.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Don't like steel barriers either. Now if I could just find a strech of pavement surrounded with nothing but a field of grass that would be my "field of dreams" Understand this is pretty much just a dream, as life just don't work that way.
The street we used to street race on in the 70s was that way. We would line up a race on Forest Lane then drive to Preston and Arapaho. Arapaho was divided , lights and sorghum fields either side as they were going to make it a subdivision in a few years. And it was between Addison, Richardson and Dallas police jurisdictions and the Dallas County guys did not care.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Smooth grass would be my choice too. There is a race on the schedule for me at some 1/8 mile redneck outlaw track. No rules or sanctioning body. No ambulance. Narrow. The walls consist of big wood posts spaced several feet apart. I wouldn’t be caught dead running there. It was probabl ok in 1958 but in 2019? WTF :doh

de31168

Well Known Member
If you hate sitting in the staging lanes on a 100 degree day, suited up, helmet on, and then have a car oil the track and have to get out and wait 45 minutes for it to be cleaned up, you shouldn't have a bad thing to say about engine diapers or transmission blankets. I wish they had something to cover the rear end too. A lot of tracks have lackluster clean up equipment. You're not at an NHRA national event where any type of oil down is a 10 minute hindrance. You're at some place that just killed nearly an hour of the day and you hope and pray they got all the pieces. Test and tune? No big deal you just lose runs that you paid to do. Eliminations? Your hopes of getting home for dinner just turned into a 9pm or later night with a few of them occurring. As far as the other safety innovations.. get one sideways in grass and watch it dig in and barrel roll and tear the car to shreds. No thanks. None of the stuff required is for when everything goes right. You could drive the thing in the 6's and 200 in a tshirt and shorts with one hand when everything goes right, it's when the unexpected happens that you hope you have everything available to be on your side so you live to see another day.

I'll also be the one to say that I hate it has an ET limit to be enacted because the guy pushing his beefed up but mostly stock engine, trans, rear end is more likely to put a rod thru the side of it or blow the planetaries out of it or shear the pinion off of it than I am and I have already broken plenty of stuff.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
You should check out the live Speed Video, Lights Out race in Georgia The people around the starting line would make me nervous.

I took the Camaro/Pontiac car out for the first time ever 3 weeks ago at the local 1/8 mile track first time I have raced there.. They crammed an 1/8 mile dragstrip between their circle track and the edge of the property so narrow lane. A few years ago a Pro Mod ran off the end so they moved the start lin and burnout box back so little room and you go up hill Tech was look at you card and put numbers on the card go race-many cars should not have been on the track. Second run in front of me was a fast 4th gen Camaro 30 people behind him when they ran in front of me. They told me to start my burnout just 10 feet behind 30 people! One cat ripped off all the studs on one wheel and another oiled it down . Took 3+ hours for 2 runs.After that we put the car on the trailer and left. Splitting a track rental at the big Baytown track Sunday weather permitting.