Did all 409 1963 full size Chevys come with sound deadening pads under hood?

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
I have purchased underhood deadening material My Biscayne 1963 had none. What was stock with or without? thx Michael

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Well, not all came with it, the convertibles didn't have it. Don't have my info with me so I don't know about the other models

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wish the owner who bought Jack Bayer's Z-11 Impala in 1979 was smart enough to know this. Some Z-11's had heaters and deadening and some didn't. The Jack Bayer Z-11 did, I asked Jack Bayer about the heater and he said he ordered it on the Z-11 to draw heat from the motor during rounds. The owner who ended up with his Z-11 thought it was not a real Z-11 because of the sound deadening and heater & removed the aluminum and 427 and scrapped the body in Yuba city CA in 1980.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Don't have a 63 manual but the 62 and 64 says no on Biscayne.
62 was Impala only and 64 was Bel Air and Impala.....typically only on the higher end models as sound deadening insulation.

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A good friend of mine went to see Jack Bayer's Z-11 in 1976 in northern California for the sum of $1,200, it was at a wrecking yard and the owner knew he had something special. This was a strong running and driving car with pin straight sheet metal and complete from the Z-11 air cleaner down to QM 427 block ,vented backing plates and Monaco blue paint. He passed on it since he wanted a '62 Bel air hardtop 409 car instead. The car sat for a few years until owner that parted it out bought it, heard he also bought a '57 chevy factory fuelie sedan delivery with 3-speed he bought for the drivetrain only at the same time as the Z-11 and you can guess what happened to that body also.