Did they build any 62-Bel Air Sports Coupe -409 cars that were factory two tone color.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Anybody ever seen a two/tone factory 62 - Bubble top 409?. Just curious, as they say, curiosity killed the cat,
:dohbut my Dad always said, yeah, and satisfaction brought it back.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You could get 2 tone 62's and there would be no restriction on the engine choice.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hey SSDD I'm sure your right about engine options, but you never see any restored or even pictures of 409's that aren't all, red, black,white, or any of the
colors Bel Air Sport coupes came in. Sure wish someone would post that they had seen one in the old days. Chip can make one for me if he likes..
:roll

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I know that mine started life White over Teal... So little of the car that GM built that I made it the way Bill and Linda wanted it !!!!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I seem to remember seeing one red with a white top. Never looked good to me although the same color combo on the 61 and earlier years looks great. I think it is the lack of an accent stripe in the '62 bel air molding that takes away from the white over red.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Ours is a 973 paint code with a 872 interior code. When we got the car it was in primer etc. but when taking it apart, it was a white top car, as someone
said they just don't look as good as the 61 with a white top. I know it would look great, especially with the Big "W" in it, as with most builds you also
go over many choices of colors before deciding on the right one. Go-fast "RED" is on top of our list so far. Thanks for the post's, everyone is interesting.
:dance1:pepper

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep, two-tone Bel Air Sport Coupes are out there. Ive seen several with factory white-painted tops.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Cecil sent something out a few years ago that on one page showed the paint codes per model.
For 1962 BelAir (1500-1600) the exterior color combo's with RPO #.
950 Ermine White/Tuxedo Black
953 Ermine White/Surf Green
955 Surf Green/Laurel Green
959 Ermine White/Silver Blue
962 Silver Blue/Nassau Blue
963 Ermine White/Twilight Blue
965 Twilight Turquoise/Twilight Blue
970 Adobe Beige/Autumn Gold
973 Ermine White/Roman Red
984 Ermine White/Satin Silver

Dave

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Were getting ready to look for 1962 Roman Red paint, and just wondered if anyone has the Numbers or codes so we can look them up and tell the paint store.
Also need the numbers and codes for interior steering wheel & components, & the dash and instrument panel. I believe there is like almost 3 different shades of red
in that area, most of it a flat, dull red.
:ears

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks Oldskydog...... Another question ?

We're building a 62 Bel Air Sport Coupe, it came with no engine, no tranny, we're puting a 409 correct #'s for 62, 4 speed, everything to make it look
and resemble a 62 409 car. This is a 1637 car, so it came with a V8... My question is, How do you describe it?.... Is it a clone, or is it a Period Correct car?
Im sure we'll be asked many times, is it a factory 409? Also it's a 973 code, red/white top, I've asked many on this forum if they have ever seen a 2 toned
factory 409 car, and have yet to have any say they have seen one. Im wondering If Haden Proffit would know? lol he should.
:rub

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Clone, "period correct", tribute are all used to describe what you have. Doesn't matter as long as you are honest about what it is.
At least it's a true V-8 car if the VIN is 1637.....
There's no reason why a 409 car couldn't be a two tone and your trim tag 973 confirms a red car with white top.

Go to the Body Section, page 4:

1962 Chevrolet

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
So cash, are you going to two tone it????? :dunno:dunno You do see a LOT of just red bubble's, but not two tone like your's .Decision's , Decision's.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks Oldskydog for the great info on 62's. I will have to say this forum is so full of information and more than enough enthusiasm for our "Big Cars".
I really enjoy reading and learning about 409's and the great people that own them.
Blkblk63ss, my partner really doesn't like the idea of two tone, and I agree to a point, I do think they look meaner as a solid red or black, etc. But when
do you see a real Red/White Sport Coupe ?. I like staying with the stock colors as it brings back the many looks of the 62's. With a 409 under the hood it will look
as "cool" as it gets.
:cool:
Like you stated, Decisions, decisions, ? the nice thing about the paint scheme is that If we don't like the white top, we can paint it red. lol
:think
:dunno

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Im think of staying with the original color red/white top, I really like the idea of being a little different, and its the
way it came from the factory. It won't be to long and we'll be ready for paint. Im so happy to get the motor back and
in the frame, its so cool. My other decision is weather to install electric cut-outs on the exhaust, they sure sound mean
when you open them up, especially with a push of a switch. Any opinions on either matter welcome. I'll be seeing
many models and motors this weekend in Great Bend, can't wait to get there, just wished I had ours ready to put in the
trailer. I love "road trips".
:love