Did you Catch this on Speed?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Targa Newfoundland, run last fall.
http://www.targanewfoundland.com/drivers/about-us/

Its 6 days and 1300 miles through narrow public roads in small towns. There was a 63 Impala there several years, don't know what motor.

Some serious unique racing in all kinds of different cars. Several made in through pickets fences, one year a Porche ended up in the ocean, wipers still going when they stopped.

Don

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The Youtube movie is great....... that is some Race !!!!

You gonna' run that Bubbletop next year Don ??:rolleyes::rolleyes::roll:roll:roll

Dave

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The Youtube movie is great....... that is some Race !!!!

You gonna' run that Bubbletop next year Don ??:rolleyes::rolleyes::roll:roll:roll

Dave

Dave, I should have it ready by then, Canadian Tire sells bondo right?

I guess all you fellas going to Ohio this year could do Targa next year? It needs a 409 with 8 pipes through the bonnet, sliding around those corners, open exhaust of course. That 59 Mini would look good next to it.

Don

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am researching entry requirements for " Bullrun" on the Speed Channel. I am thinking that Brian Thompson and MRHP would make a great 409 team.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sounds like fun, but I've got to stay away from Newfoundland. I almost got in trouble there back in the late 70's flying out of St Johns looking for icebergs on International Ice Patrol.
Geez, those people can put away the booze! :eek::cheers

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds like fun, but I've got to stay away from Newfoundland. I almost got in trouble there back in the late 70's flying out of St Johns looking for icebergs on International Ice Patrol.
Geez, those people can put away the booze! :eek::cheers

Cecil, tomorrow is St Patrick's Day, in Nfld it is a holiday. A fellow I work with goes to the local Irish Pub with his brothers at 7:00AM, they start the beer early. Seems like you fit in there, I'm sure you would be welcome back, if you can still drink beer, or rum.

Don

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil, tomorrow is St Patrick's Day, in Nfld it is a holiday. A fellow I work with goes to the local Irish Pub with his brothers at 7:00AM, they start the beer early. Seems like you fit in there, I'm sure you would be welcome back, if you can still drink beer, or rum.

Don

That sounds about right. I wish I could remember the name of the hotel where we stayed. We pretty much owned the bar. The wall behind the bar was covered with name tags and station patches from all the crews in all the years of Ice Patrol since about 1971. the CG has been doing Ice Patrol since the Titanic went down in 1912. Every year starting sometime in March, when the bergs start calving, the USCG has an aircraft and crew deployed to track them.
The last time I was there in the bar, I rolled 5 natural aces and my CP stood up and yelled to the whole house. That cost me a lot of money. They had an Irish folk singer with guitar playing some really great old songs....would put a tear in your eye. The only problem was that flying 6-7 hours a day in the fog looking for icebergs was interfering with our partying. That was when I was young and stupid. I just can't handle it anymore now that I'm old and stupid.:dunno
:cheers

Attachments

• excellent tab from back of c130.jpg
    excellent tab from back of c130.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 24
  • CALIB drop.JPG
    CALIB drop.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 1504.jpg
    1504.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IO and pinnacle.jpg
    IO and pinnacle.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 23

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Was the bar the one with the German uboat periscope? Nice pictures, bet that plane was a bit noisy?

When I was in high school, we travelled on a school bus pass a RCAF runway, they flew Arguses then, (4 Rolls Royces?) when one passed over the bus, the racket made it feel like the bus was going to fall apart.
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0001248

argus.jpg

Don

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Good ol' Argus.:cool:
4 Wright R3350 radial engines @ 3700 hp each. That'll rattle your teeth.:D