Differences between Hard Top & Convertible frames?

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Can someone explain to me the difference in frames, or beefed up structure points on the 2 types of frames? I want to know what Im looking at when the time comes to buying a spare frame.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I cannot show you or tell you where the extra reinforcement is located on the convertible frame but there is two extra sets of body mounts for the convertible versus the hardtop here is a kit that they offer for more support to the hardtop frame essentially making it the convertible body mount kit ......This kit is made for the Lowrider sect for reinforcement for hydraulics but the same as stock

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Impala-Con...333525783199?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
The convertibles have extra reinforcement welded on the top side of the frame over the rear axle and underneath the firewall.

Not really a good photo, but you can kind of see what the reinforcement that goes over the axle looks like in this photo. This frame also has some additional aftermarket reinforcing plates welded to it.

OIP.kaZXrbQ1i9i0Nqph3zD8_AHaFj.jpg

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the replies, so basically the frames are the same except for welded reinforcements? No additional body mount points or curves? I just want to know what the differences are between Vert and HT parts. I always have people asking me if HT 59-66 doors will fit on Convertibles, or what the difference is. I really don't know. Ive never had 2 side by side to point out all the differences.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
All 61 to 64 Convertible frames have 12 body mounts vs only 8 for all other frames.
The 4 extra convertible mounts(2 per side) are between the firewall and rear axle.
For all convertible frames 61 to 64 from the firewall to behind the rear axle the top of the frame has extra reinforcement welded to the frame.
Paul

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I believe, and Paul will correct me if I'm wrong, the doors on a 63-64 are the same on a 2 door hard top sport coupe and convertible. The vent window and door glass are shorter on the convertible though. The doors should be the same on a 62 hard top sport coupe and convertible with the vent window and door glass being different????

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Jim and 64 superstock are correct -as noted more detail below

The vent window outside pot metal chrome frames for convertibles are different than hardtop for 61 & 62. and the same applys to 63 and 64 the outside convertible frames are convertible only. The top of the frames are different than Hardtop outside frames

The actual vent chrome frames "that hold the glass " (that are chrome steel) are the same for 61 and 62 Hardtops and convertibles -they fit hardtop or convertible outside pot metal frames.
The same applys to 63 and 64 chrome frames around the actual glass -they fit hardtop or convertible pot metal outside frames for 63 and 64.

The difference in the "Outside" vent window assemblies (for 61 & 62 ) and again for 63 & 64 is that the very top of the outside pot metal frames turn down/bend down (or are slightly shorter) in the last inch of the outside potmetal chrome frame -- to fit the convertible top rack & top rack weatherstrip. This difference is very hard to see unless the outside frames are side by side.
I can take pictures of the difference and post them (as soon as my convertible is back in the garage.... with the new 409 motor fixed.

Paul

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
All 61 to 64 Convertible frames have 12 body mounts vs only 8 for all other frames.
The 4 extra convertible mounts(2 per side) are between the firewall and rear axle.
For all convertible frames 61 to 64 from the firewall to behind the rear axle the top of the frame has extra reinforcement welded to the frame.
Paul
Paul I thought my 61 convertible the strip welded (not neatly) to the frame extend quite a bit forward from the firewall. I’ll check it the next time I visit the cars and try for photos.
Robert

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I was at the Madison. WI many years ago. Was walking around looking for parts. Guy had a set of 63 Impala doors for sale. I told him I didn't need the doors but I would buy the vent windows. Yes cheap convertible vent windows!!!!! Maybe 35 bucks!!!!
It's not a sin to know more than the seller!!!!! Oh many years ago at a swap meet near here...got a 62 SS NOS 4-speed shift plate insert for $3!!!!!

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I was at the Madison. WI many years ago. Was walking around looking for parts. Guy had a set of 63 Impala doors for sale. I told him I didn't need the doors but I would buy the vent windows. Yes cheap convertible vent windows!!!!! Maybe 35 bucks!!!!
It's not a sin to know more than the seller!!!!! Oh many years ago at a swap meet near here...got a 62 SS NOS 4-speed shift plate insert for $3!!!!!
Do you want to double your money?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Been hunting around for 64 chevy 4 speed columns to ditch the 3spd on tree and found 2 at one swapmeet last year for a grand total of $15. I spotted them and figured they were pricey and both guys were just happy to not take them back home. LOL! Should have bought the complete bucket seats setting next to them too but I'm dumb. LOL.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4

Must’ve been Jefferson car show swap meet ........???

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hawkeye Downs in North East Iowa. I never go to that one but had to make the trip for some marketing 2 years ago it was.

Junky

Well Known Member
Just remember to tag all those parts, so if you should pass on prematurely someone else will know what they fit. Today, I was cleaning out my office with my wife helping me, and she said "how do you know where all this fits"? I saw one of those cartoon bubbles pop out of her head, and it said "in the trash". I am relatively certain that is where a lot will go should I die before I sell it all off.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just remember to tag all those parts, so if you should pass on prematurely someone else will know what they fit. Today, I was cleaning out my office with my wife helping me, and she said "how do you know where all this fits"? I saw one of those cartoon bubbles pop out of her head, and it said "in the trash". I am relatively certain that is where a lot will go should I die before I sell it all off.
I tag everything, I even note if there are other parts that go with the item like heads and a motor. Not just for my wife but for myself. I have enough parts that it helps me keep everything organized. I have these large tags with wire attached to each. I try to only write on one side because my next step is to create QR codes that can be made into stickers to place on the back. That way anyone can scan the QR code with a phone and it will take you to ebay or whatever site I choose to give a description and some kind of current price.