Differential codes

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
I found this differential code and need info

Its BB0216 (i decoded it by gm paperwork and it says its an automatic transmission, Feburary 16th, but when i looked on this site it says its a 3.36:1 open rearend for a 3 spd manual transmission) So far that dosent add up but i thought i would post it here anyways

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
Incase no one knows what im asking ill make this post to clear everything up.

Need to know IF...

1)This is a 3 spd manual transmission or if it was used behind different transmissions.

2)This is an Automatic transmission as my detriot specifications packet i got from gm says.

and

3) If this is a 3 spd manual transmission rearend what are the chances of it being installed behind a automatic transmission?

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
I also forgot to add that chevy by the numbers 60-64 book says that the rearend is a 6 cylinder powerglide rearend

So i need to know from others which is it, 6 cylinder w/ powerglide rearend, V8 with 3spd manual transmission rearend, or a V8 automatic transmission rearend.

M

MK IISS

My info, which I'm not positive is correct, shows a "BB" code to be a 6-cyl/Powerglide rear end out of most likely, a station wagon. Most regular 6-cyl/Powerglide sedans had a 3.08 ratio.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
Well my "chevy by the numbers" book says its a 6 cylinder powerglide rearend, but yet when i look in my restoration packet i got from chevrolet from the phone number i got from chevytalk a long time ago says the BB code is a automatic transmission. On this website it says its a 3.36:1 open rearend for a 3spd manual transmission, Only problem is so far i found contradicting evidence cause the vehicle its installed in is a V8 powerglide car and one says its a 6 Cylinder powerglide rearend, the other says its a 3 spd manual transmission rearend.

Something has to be wrong with the codes cause i dont see how the codes are saying its a 6 cylinder rearend when it left the factory behind a V8 powerglide combo

All dates have been decoded and proven and listed below

Rear Axle Identification : Feburary 16, 1963 (BB0216)

Carrier Date : Feburary 13, 1963 (B1363)

Transmission : Feburary 27,1963 Night shift (C0227N)

Engine : March 1st 196* (F030IDK)

Not sure about this i went to multiple websites and one tells me the F is the month code and the 0I is the year code and then i have in my restoration packet telling me the F is the designation which would be Flint so ill list it the two ways i found out what it could decode to be. Flint March 1st 1961, Powerglide, Air Conditioning, and Chevy by the numbers says the same thing which would be Flint Michigan March 1st 196* Powerglide, Air Conditioning (not sure which year to go with considering 1961 and 1963 are both coming back as possible years but when i look up the engine block code it says under notes "This block was supposedly used in very late production 1961 cars and Corvettes. This was a possible carryover block for the 1962 early production. This block has not been verified as orignal equipment 1961 usage. There is some evidence that Corvette productions used this block January through April 1961, with passenger cars using the block after April" From that most likely this is a 1961 year model block since its a March month code and the passenger cars used this block AFTER April.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
As far as your engine ID, you need to get the casting numbers and casting date off the back of the block. The numbers stamped on the front don't tell you the year but only the engine plant (F), assembly date in month and day only not year, and the suffix code which tells you the engine hp/trans application, and may or may not have the vin number of the car stamped on the pad as well. The DK suffix code was used for a 2 barrel 283 with A/C in 61, 62, and 63 so without the casting date from the back of the block youcan't tell which year it is.
Like you I have doubts about some of the info in Colvin's books. They are good as far as they go but are not quite complete and sometimes miss some info. I believe your BB rear axle just desiginates a 3:36 open rear in a full size pass. car. Although the 63 tables don't list the BB application for both PG and 3spd and both L-6 and V8, if you look at the tables for 61 and 62 they do show the BB for 6 and 8, PG and manual. I think it likely that the 63 application would be the same even though the 63 tables don't specify it- probably an oversight.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
Thats what it says in colvins book is that theres a casting date on the rear of the block but last time i looked to get the casting serial number i didnt see no other codes other than the large GM casting number but when i get the chance ill take a look at that also.

That might be the case with the rearend its the same for 63 as the others. I know when i had the fan off the fan clutch is dated 1961 so if this block is a 1961 year dated block that wont suprise me cause i know when they ran out of a specific part they use one of the same style but a different year. the same with the bottle bracket for the glass bottle its dated 1961 also

What i really have my doubts about is his mix information he says that the first year for rim codes to be stamped was like 1965 but yet mine has an A stamped into each rim by the valve stem but nothing else and i emailed him on this concern along with others and never got a replyed

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
In my opinion...it would be nearly impossible to have a 61 cast engine in a 63 vehicle...they just didn't have blocks laying around for that long of time...brackets and stuff that stayed the same could possibly carry an old date code.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
its not like this would be a early 1961 cast block, if it is it would be a late 61 cast block for a carry over into the 1962 model year, so it would be probly half a model year old by time it was installed in mine but so far im fairly sure it is

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
You wouldn't get a '61 hold-over in your '63 unless it was stashed away in some deep, dark corner of a GM plant. If you have a '61 date-coded block in your '63, then the engine has been replaced sometime during it's life.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
Well as i stated before i find it hard to belive that in all the paperwork for every last bit of work performed on the car it never list a engine swap so chances are this is the orignal block cause he had a 1973 work order sheet for getting the starter checked cause it wouldnt start hot, then 3 days later it was in again for new brushes in the starter cause it was still not working right, The orignal owner was a packrat as you could say he kept everything to the car in the paper folder that chevrolet included in the car along with the owners manual booklet. im going to check the date code but chances are its a 61 block, considering the casting number comes back in colvins book as a 61 corvette block or a 61 passneger car block AFTER April and this is a march made block, and online even said the same but like i said im going out right now to look for the date code that is supposed to be on the back and see if there is one

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
Well i just looked and there appears to be a pad but its blank but for a raised up numeral which appears to be either a 1 or a 7 or could be a l not sure but from my chevy by the numbers there SHOULD be no code on the rear for the date cause up to 64 it was on the front passengerside pad infront of the head the same code i listed

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Post the block CASTING number...the date code could possibly be on the side of the block near the freeze plugs ...

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
the date code is on the front of the block on the passengerside pad infront of the head, i already listed it

F030IDK

F = Flint Engine plant

03 = March

0I = 1st

DK = Powerglide, A/C

I read that the DK would be stamped once the transmission was mated with the engine so the F030I were stamped first for the block then once the transmission was bolted up then the D was stamped for Powerglide, and the K was stamped along with the D for A/C

"taken from Chevy By the Numbers 1960-1964"

Block #3789935

Year : 1961 (late)

Model : Passenger/Corvette

Engine : 283

Horsepower : Passenger (170 , 230) Corvette (230 , 245 , 250 , 270 , 275 , 315)

Notes : This block was supposedly used in very late production 1961 cars and Corvettes. This was a POSSIBLE CARRY OVER BLOCK FOR 1962 EARLY PRODUCTION. This block as not been verified as orignal equipment 1961 USAGE. There is some evidence that Corvette production used this block JANUARY THROUGH APRIL 1961, with Passenger cars using the block AFTER APRIL.

ive also been to 7 engine serial number websites even used my chevrolet small block casting number book and they all told me the block is a late 61 year model block

1961-62 : 3789935 , 283 2V , Late 61 car & vette ( http://www.minuit10.net/EngineCode/chevy/SmallBlockCastingBlock.htm )

Block Cast #'s : 3789935 ; 3756519 ( http://rowleycorvette.com/stats61.html )

M

MK IISS

you guys just got set-up. It was going to be a 1961 Corvette block/engine from the get-go even if it took fudging the numbers to prove it. Go back and look at his posts about a year ago. This was a planned event. Only difference...last time he used a '61 Corvette suffix code.. "DJ".

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
mk this isnt setup im asking about a rearend code but people obviously want to argue about what they dont understand. I never asked about the engine i said i know everything matches up considering the dates line up but yet im told to check the back of the engine block for the date code, kinda hard when the date code wasnt put on the back of the block till after 64, they were all on the front in 1960 - 1964 and i posted that, im not even asking about the block i know what the block is an disnt and i never said this one was a DJ block i said i HAD a DJ coded block sitting in the garage but i NEVER said this WAS a DJ block i always said this was a DK block. But i dont see how i can be blaimed for this considering i didnt ask about the engine i asked about the rearend coding and yet everyone starts their crap again with a block couldnt be kept around for a whole year, even though no one considered the fact the 327 came out in 62 and no one cared for the 283 anymore they wanted the new 327 just like in 62 only engine for the corvette was the 327 so there were alot of carry over 283`s like this one that was built for 1962 year model use but never seen it so they were put off to the side till they were needed

M

MK IISS

Ding-A-Ling

When he was a little biddy Texas boy
His grandmother bought him a cute little toy
Silver bells hanging on a string
She told him it was his ding-a-ling-a-ling

Oh....Ding-A-Ling, Ding-A-Ling, Ding-A, Ding-A, Ding-A-Ling-A-Ling

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
:clap wow very mature MK guess thats why your trying to start another childish E-fight cause your immature. :clap

Well anyways guess this messageboard went down the ****ter, oh well all sites eventually go to hell and close just like so many other good sites guess ill just go to the antique chevy site and ask those people there probly wont take and act like immature adults, they should give some form of answer to my question.

M

MK IISS

out of the past

"...and 1000X15 Radir M/T slicks on 15X10 chrome revesal out back."