differential question

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
I am planning to replace the ring and pinion set in my '63 Biscayne to a more cruising friendly gear ratio. I think the axle ratio is 4.11 or possibly 4.56. I cannot tell from the external markings on the differential housing and I have not removed the pumpkin to count the gear teeth. At 70 mph, the engine speed is 4000 rpm. It gets very noisy at higher speeds, although the 409 doesn't give a damn and keeps pumping out power.

My question for the group is whether ring and pinion gears are the same size for positraction versus standard differentials. Show Cars and Ecklers sells gear sets for a wide range of axle ratios (3.08, 3.36, 3.55, 3.73, and 4.11), but they make no distinction between posi and standard.

Dan Fults

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,but the diffenencial carriers are different between the 3 and 4 series.The 4 series gears are thinneer in the ring gear requiring a spacer to use on a 3 series diff.unit! You should know that,Phil.I'm dissapointed in you!:poke

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
You will need to know which carrier you have. The pinion gear is smaller the lower the ratio or the higher the ratio number and as a result the ring gear must be thicker. To accommodate these differences Chevrolet made 2 different carriers. On, I believe 4:11 and up the ring gear carrier has the ring gear flange off set for the difference in the pinion gear diameter. You can determine what ratio you have without removing the rear end by raising the rear of the car, mark the drive shaft and a rear wheel, rotate the wheel one revolution and county how many times the drive shaft turns. Be sure and put the trans in neutral. One hiccup in all of this is if someone put a 4:56 gear on a 3:08 carrier they would have used a ring gear spacer and you would definitely need to know that before ordering a gear. It's possible you could remove the drain plug and put a bore scope in and see about the spacer.
Probably completely confused by now.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
You are going to have to pull it. Could be a 3 series with a spacer. Very common to put the big gear on the 3 series posi. No way to know without looking at it.

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Once again, very helpful advice from the 409/348ers! The wheel rotation test, suggested by Blk61409, indicates that I have a 4.56:1 ratio. I'll remove the pumpkin to see if there is a spacer. I'll let you know what I find.
Dan Fults

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yea it's really easy to pull the pumpkin. Then you know for sure. Make sure you have a set of retainer plate gaskets and some gear oil + posi additive on hand if you slap it back together

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
My question for the group is whether ring and pinion gears are the same size for positraction versus standard differentials.

Dan Fults

Yes,but the diffenencial carriers are different between the 3 and 4 series.The 4 series gears are thinneer in the ring gear requiring a spacer to use on a 3 series diff.unit! You should know that,Phil.I'm dissapointed in you!:poke

Look at Dan's question Don. According to 64 reprint parts book: #3867386 OPEN carrier fits 57-59 Pass 1st design and 59-64 Pass 2nd design. NO mention of different carriers for ANY gear ratio. Yes...there are 3-series and 4-series Posi units but GM only lists one OPEN carrier for use with either 3-series or 4-series gear sets. And that's the way I interpreted Dan's question.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:dealIf we didnt love you so much,we wouldnt pick on you,Phil.As for an apology,I can do that..............the third day after hell freezes over!!!!!!:roll:roll:roll

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'll apologize to Don. I apparently missed his birthday last friday?? Sorry man....hope you had a great one!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Jason,but the 28th is only the day I get to celebrate this year.My REAL birthday dosent come around until next presidential election year.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That can't happen soon enough. You just reminded me of a friend who is also a leap year baby. I forgot to send him a card. :doh

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
I pulled the differential from my '63 and determined that I have a series-3 positraction with 4.56:1 gear ratio. May I ask those following this thread to look at the attached photos and tell me if am correct about this being a series-3 and whether there is a spacer between the ring gear and the carrier flange?
Dan Fults

Attachments

• positrac456_1.JPG
    positrac456_1.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 59
  • positrac456_2.JPG
    positrac456_2.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 56

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You are indeed correct.Now all you have to decide which gear you want.3.36 would be a really good highway gear IF you're running the factory cam,or a mild performance [hyd] cam.If you've got a healthy cam in it,then no taller than 3.55.

W-motorhead

Supporting Member 1
Many thanks, guys. I'm running one of Aubrey Bruneau's fairly aggressive hydraulic cams (236 degrees duration @ 0.05 lift). I'm thinking about the 3.36 gear set. Would it be shameful to consider 3.08 for a 409?

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I run 3:23's but have a 3:27 1st gear. I think the 3:36's or 3:55's would be great.