Disc brakes for my 62 409

Woody62

Well Known Member
Looking to purchase a disc brake kit for my 62’. Currently have drums with torque thrust magnesium wheels all around. Looking to go 15’ Steel wheels all around with dog dish hub cap look? Is there a particular “offset” I should be aware of? New to the game.information is greatly appreciated.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I don't find "58 delivery" as a member when I search for any posts.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Do you powder coat the calipers and zinc plate the discs to stop rust ?
also cross drill them ?
Paul

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nothing stops rust, only slows it down. No, I do not offer powder coated calipers. When I did years ago people were too cheap to pay for it. I do offer cross drilled rotors but not for the 14" original wheel kit, why would anyone want cross drill behind original steel wheels where you can't see them. Crossdrill is only for looks

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I offer 2 zero offset kits, one is the 14" wheel kit. The trade off is the one that doesn't fit 14" original wheels has larger 11.2" rotors vs. 10.5" and larger calipers, fits most anything except original 14" wheels.The kit that Tom posted above is a very good economical method to add disc brakes but you have to plan ahead with proper back space wheels to allow for the 3/4" outward movement.

Woody62

Well Known Member
Do you run these on your cars? I’m a newbie. Bout car from my uncle so I’m the second owner. He is no longer with us so..... my questions are not intended to be offensive

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
To give you a little more education on disc brake kits for your car. Any kit that uses a 1 piece rotor (69-72 Chevelle rotor)that bolts to the stock spindle moves out 3/4", OK as long as you don't go wider then a 7" wheel with 4" to 4.5" back space. Drop spindles don't move out as much, about 5/16". The zero offset kits keep drum brake location, not that big of a deal on 59-64 but some people prefer that. The zero offset plus fits original 14" steel wheels is my exclusive. All other disc brake kits, including 2" drop kits will not fit 14" original steel wheels. Just in case you wanted to go back to original.

Woody62

Well Known Member
My plan is to go with the old steel wheel look. Was looking for wheels in the classic industries catalog they have 14x6 14x7 and 15x7. Was thinking of putting the 15x7 in the rear which I believe I will keep drum (for know)? Hoping your setup will have plenty of stopping power as I live in a busy area with lots of people. Assuming a duel reservoir would be plenty? Or would I need a power booster also for this application?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Master has no bearing on stopping power(dual vs single) if it is sized correctly. Use 1" bore for manual, 1 1/8" for power. Booster gives you assist. Definitely use 14" wheel kit if you're going to use 14" front wheels. Look at wheel vintiques website, Classic just buys from them and marks up.