Distributor Comparison

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
While I was replacing my Pertronix distributor with an original distributor with with a Pertronix upgrade, I decided to compare the measurements on the three different distributors that I have. The one on the left ii a Mallory dual point, the center is the Pertronix and the end one is a stock distributor.
I took the overall height measurement from the bottom of the distributor gear to the top of the spark plug tower(not the coil tower) on the cap. The only measurement that I did not write correctly is on the Pertronix. The measurement from the bottom of the flange(that sits on the intake manifold) to the center of the oil groove is not 14 5/8", it is 4 5/8". I did add an extra washer to the stock distributor to reduce the end play on the shaft. 20170205_111730.jpg

One other point to mention is that the Pertronix distributor uses a stock distributor cap and rotor, but the square locating notch is 180* opposite the original distributor's notch location.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I bought a Petronix, 3 years ago. A Quality Product.:appl Downside.:dunnoMore than an inch taller, than the stock Distributor. Sometimes a PITA, to insert and remove.:dunno2

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm surprised all three have different oil channel/notch setups...
Or maybe the middle one has a glare on it which makes it look different than the other two.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The Pertronix has a square cut groove all the way around. The Mallory is a rounded oil groove and does not go all the way around the same as a stock distributor. Although, I ground the oil groove on the stock distributor pictured, making the groove 360*.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I have two 348 distributors.... distributor number 1110930 and distributor number 1110948 the first is for a 1958 348 250 - 280 and 315 horsepower the second was for 59 through 61 348 to 250,280 and 305 horsepower.....the two Distributors are different in the 58 model has the oil Channel all the way around the bases distributor where as the 59- 61 has that space where there is no groove...........
IMAG4676.jpg IMAG4677.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I put in an original distributor with a Pertronix conversion only because I use the engine for mocking up air cleaners and the taller distributors were in the way.