Distributor problems

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I agree, with Mr. Goodwrench. Bend the Vacuum Cannister up. Problem solved:clap

427John

Well Known Member
Red,comparing your pic to rstreet's if both dist. are set to the same timing yours is stabbed 1 tooth different from his,your vac can is behind the bolt head while his is in front of it.If the dist is where it needs to be for the timing you want,then I would pull it up and move it 1 tooth,that way it will get the vac can between the 2 bolt heads and give you some room for minor adjustment.If in it's current position it still needs more advance then you should be golden just loosen your clamp enough to let it hop over the bolt head,and hand snug the clamp and set your timing.If you decide to bend the cannister as others suggest make sure that where you bend it does not allow the link that goes to the breaker plate to rub or bind up.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I have seen pictures, of stock 348 and 409 distributors. The vacuum advance nipple, is pointing towards the rear valve cover bolt.:clap This also, puts the distributor, in the correct place, in relation, to the groove, in the Distributor Housing.

Larry Campos

Retard the distributor one tooth. This will now dictate that you must turn the distributor body counter-clockwise to regain the lost degrees. This should place your vacuum diaphragm between the two manifold bolts.