Distributor problems

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
I have a 63 409 425 hp engine. Dual afb’s stock manifold. When the distributor is in place the vacuum advance hits the rear bolt for intake manifold. This limits the amount the distributor can be rotated to set timing. I have the gasket in place with no spacers. Another problem is the distributor primary wire is snug when connected to the coil. The wire appears to be original uncut or not spliced. The coil is in a repo mount on the manifold in the original location. Anyone else run into these problems?.
Thanks

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Don't know if it works on the w dist but a SBC or BBC can have the gear installed 180 deg out with those problems. the corvette guys run into it quite often. re-indexing the dist gear may take care of it .

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Here is pix of the problem..is there a thicker gasket Made for a 409? or do I have wrong vacuum advance.3A2BC75F-97D1-44CD-A62B-48A58D29811F.jpeg

Attachments

• 08CE342C-8DFF-4FFB-AA90-26C81F76878C.jpeg
    08CE342C-8DFF-4FFB-AA90-26C81F76878C.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Junky

Well Known Member
I see the problem.. It is the blue rotor. Bring the #1 piston up to top dead center, and then follow the instructions in this video. Make sure that before you tighten the clamp, that the distributor if fully seated into the intake distributor hole, and don't over tighten the clamp. It just needs to be snug enough to keep the timing from moving.

Junky

Well Known Member
Why not fix it correctly the first time. If it is just that one bolt head, then change out that one bolt. Rocket science 101

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Well I replaced the chrome bolt with a grade 8 bolt with a head not quite as tall. Then I put two gaskets between the manifold and distributor, clears it easily. I got to thinking that the engine was rebuilt just before I purchased it. Maybe they machined the mating surface between the intake manifold and the head. That could lower the manifold slightly.