Do I Really Need ANOTHER One ? !

Went for a drive with my son today, about 160 miles away, to go make a deal on a truck.
A virtual identical twin to the Canadian ( meaning Chevrolet ) 59 GMC 9380 1 ton that I've owned since 1989. Yes, originally, mine was even this same light pastel green/blue.
This one is in quite a bit better shape than mine was. 72,000 miles, original paint. Check out the headlight brows, the doors, the cab corners, the running board area.

Plan is to de-tune my current truck ( remove the 409, fuel tanks, tool boxes )... and give it to my son, Donovan, as his first vehicle. I have a decent 283 core that he can use for his first budget-engine build:deal.
At the moment though, this new aquisition will probably just stay inside my shop, out of the weather, used sparingly for local dump runs, ect.

A few photos:

59_gmc_9380_sep162012donovan.JPG

59_gmc_9380_sep162012rf.JPG

59_gmc_9380_sep162012runningboard85.jpg

59_gmc_9380_sep162012rdoorhinge85.jpg

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Nice old truck. Are you planing to use it for a car hauler, similar to the old truck?

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Aubrey, you obviously need it as you already have the room for it:laugh
I have a plan that my wife Lynette hates
"if i can make room for it, i obviously need it"
Steve

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cool Aubrey, nice video. Hard to believe the tops of those fenders are that good.

Don

Yes, Don, it's in pretty good shape... for an old farm truck.
Brought it home today ( My GAWD, was the weather beautiful :bow... about 78 deg F, light tail wind on the way home ).
Here are a few photos taken where we drove it on the trailer:

myother_1959_gmc_9380_sep222012loadingdonovan19.jpg

myother_1959_gmc_9380_sep222012loadedlllr19.jpg

myother_1959_gmc_9380_sep222012loadedlf18.jpg

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Nice pics Aubrey,
Now that is a large paddock
That bottom pic could go on a calendar

Steve

Thanks guys:D
Did a little cleaning up yesterday. Tuned up, got rid of the front mount spare tire. Took some good photos.
Engine ( just a 235 ) runs well, but a little smokey. I'm not going to be doing anything serious with this truck for a while... mostly just keep it inside. However, I do have a good, low mileage 261 ( which is what would normally be in a GMC truck here in Canada ) sitting on the floor. I think when I have time, I'll install it, and make sure the truck is fully functional.
DSC00526221.jpg

DSC0053722.jpg

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
COOL truck Aubrey !!! Can't believe how big Donovan has gotten!!!! Yes it`s me,,,,, first post in a few years! Benn lurkin though,,,

HAH ! ... JIMMM!... good to see you, man:beer
Yes, time is passing us by. Donocan's going to be 12 next month. I have a little video of him driving the truck ( DAMN right he can drive standard transmission ! ). However, needless to say, probably shouldn't post it:no

I had our local hardware store mix up some acrylic metal paint for me. Colour is dead on !
Did a some prep, and painted all six wheels.
Just finished replacing the worn out 235, with a low mileage, late 58' pass car 261 that I had here. Pretty good engine. Has a higher lift hydraulic cam. Runs like new.
Our local auto wrecker has a 70 3/4 ton with a 4.10 ratio pumpkin in the rear. I'll get that to replace these 5.14's, and she'll be a good, useable truck.

Oh, Don ( SSDD ), I just replaced a headlight. Tops of the fenders are good.... the headlight bucket area is like absolutely brand new:deal . I've never seen that before. Original shiney paint in there.

myother_1959_gmc_9380_sep302012lf49.jpg

myother_1959_gmc_9380_sep302012llr50.jpg