DO NOT GREASE. what the?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Would that be on a specialty use car? I remember when my wagon was at Tri-State last year the tech only had one issue with my car. To much grease coming out of the new joints. Had to wipe them down, then I was good to go.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Would that be on a specialty use car? I remember when my wagon was at Tri-State last year the tech only had one issue with my car. To much grease coming out of the new joints. Had to wipe them down, then I was good to go.
I have no idea, I never saw a tag like this and we stripped quit a few old x frames. It looks like a tag that came with the ball joint(if it was ever changed).

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have no info on that. It can't refer to the ball joint since it is to be lubed. My guess is that it means no grease on steering stop....why? maybe to prevent collecting dirt on it.
What is this on?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Not sure what year, Probably 62 or 63, from a v8 car with power steering and with a sway bar.

bobs409

Administrator
Found it! I have the passenger side anyway. (I guess it probably should have both sides. maybe the PA winter road salt ate it?) :angry

My car was a 6cyl, PS originally and has the swaybar, Baltimore build car if that matters. :D

DSCN4210.JPG

Junky

Well Known Member
I'm on my 3rd one... I finally bought the biggest one they offered at the time, and I love it. I only wish that I kept the second one instead of selling it. Long story short, I bought the first one from a local dealer, who used it as a display model, then disassembled it and put it in storage. Parts got lost while in storage, and there were so many missing parts, that I returned it. They then sold me a new unit delivered from the factory, but I soon learned that the wheelbase measurement in the sales brochure, can lead to a problem. My cars wheelbase would fit on the runway, but when you added tires, the runway was too short. I made extensions to compensate for that issue, but Bend Pak didn't approve of my "modification". The offered to take back the lift, and send me a longer lift. I sold the new one that was too short, and bought the longer lift. They were great to work with, and I am a great fan of their's. The service after the sale is 100%, and so is the quality.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I checked the lower ball joints today, and to my surprise, there is no provision for a grease fitting. So, I'm guessing the tag was added so someone wouldn't spend any time looking and trying to insert a grease fitting.

bobs409

Administrator
I just checked and my lowers are NOT grease-able like I thought. No fitting!

So now this raises the question, did ALL 62-63's have non grease-able lower ball joints? :scratch WHY would ANY have this????????? The upper has a fitting as does all the other moveable points. Who's the dumb ass that thought this one up????

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just checked the 62-65 GM AMA Specs and they all say all 4 spherical (high tech engineer description) joints have high pressure lube fittings. Heavy Duty Suspension option has no mention of greaseless joints. Are you sure those aren't replacement joints? Are they riveted or bolted on?
A new mystery to solve.:winner