DO NOT GREASE. what the?

bobs409

Administrator
I just looked at mine but it's held in with a center bolt, nothing like my other cars. I don't think you can tell originals with this type.

I just noticed how odd it looks. It's UP SIDE DOWN compared to my other cars! (at least my trucks and Chevelles anyway, don't know what the 66 Impala has) :confused :crazy

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob, the lower ball joints have three bolts that hold them in the control arm. The stud a bolt on the front side and one on the rear side. The Do Not Grease tag is on the forward bolt/steering stop. Originally maybe they were rivets?

bobs409

Administrator
Bob, the lower ball joints have three bolts that hold them in the control arm. The stud a bolt on the front side and one on the rear side. The Do Not Grease tag is on the forward bolt/steering stop. Originally maybe they were rivets?

I'll have to check mine again tomorrow. I think the bumper that has the tag on it is a separate part, not connected to the ball joint. ?? Memory not as sharp as it once was. :D

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The B-joints that have 3 rivets are the top B-joints, bottoms have 2 rivets. Most early 60's cars today have had the lower B-joints changed out at one time or another. You have to remember when those cars were around there were no interstates and the old roads were ROUGH so ball joints wore out quickly, also cars were heavy. The top joint never wore out if properly greased as the lower joint carried all the weight, the top only held the spindle in alignment. Its easy to forget how lousy the roads were back then.

bobs409

Administrator
Jim is right, I forgot about the 2 bolts under the A arm. (told you my memory is bad) :p Actually, the back one is a bolt, the front one is the stud that is part of that steering stop.

So... here's my thoughts. :p IF mine were replaced, then those tags must be added. Supposedly they are grease-able from the factory so there would be no such tag. Correct?? Now if they did come with non grease-able, then I can understand a tag being factory. We still have to confirm one way or the other yet.

Now the rivet theory. I'm not entirely sold. If rivets were there, then there would be no bump stop. Maybe a rivet at the back but couldn't be one at the front.

We need to get to the bottom of this so I can sleep again!!!! :angry

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I replaced the lowers on mine about 3 years ago, they were riveted. The replacement had bolts. Show-cars sells the rivets for uppers and lowers.