Do you know who rebuilds windshield wiper motors?

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Hi, I have an electric windshield wiper motor for a 1958 Impala, does anyone know who rebuilds these units in the state of California? If it's not in California, anywhere else?

Thanks,

Steve

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
There is small company in Minnesota that does them for me. Fair prices and show quality.
They advertise on eBay.
Paul

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Well got the wiper motor rebuilt from AutoCity Classic and went to bench test it-it worked fine. Now that I've installed in the car and connected all the wires. I go to turn it on and nothing happens just a click noise. Attempted to turn it on and nothing, any ideas?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
As stated check the grounds at the wiper motor but also check the ground at the switch as it has to ground to the dash.

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Update: Wiper motor was working fine for a while now I'm getting a grinding noise as it turns. Anyone know what is causing the loud grinding noise on low and high speed?

ssdave

Do yourselves a favor and send wiper motors to Steve Hackel. 708-687-4183. He does a great job, even for NCRS top Flite cars

Junky

Well Known Member
Do yourselves a favor and send wiper motors to Steve Hackel. 708-687-4183. He does a great job, even for NCRS top Flite cars

Restoration Service
14600 S. Kilpatrick Ave.
Unit #34
Midlothian, IL 60445
1 (708) 687-4183
s.hackel@att.net

Products & Services
Wiper Motors

Years
1955-57 GM & Corvette
1963-64 GM

From his website information, he doesn't do 1958 through 1962 wiper motors...

Another company that I found on a Corvette forum is

The Wiper Restore, 3515
16 Ave NE,
Rochester,MN 55906.
tel: 507-421-5600.

Last edited:

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Restoration Service
14600 S. Kilpatrick Ave.
Unit #34
Midlothian, IL 60445
1 (708) 687-4183
s.hackel@att.net

Products & Services
Wiper Motors

Years
1955-57 GM & Corvette
1963-64 GM

From his website information, he doesn't do 1958 through 1962 wiper motors...

Another company that I found on a Corvette forum is

The Wiper Restore, 3515
16 Ave NE,
Rochester,MN 55906.
tel: 507-421-5600.

I talked to Steve before and he said he has never had a 58 to work on in the past so he did not do them. I offered to let him use mine as a guinea pig especially since he is only about 30 min away from me. But that was 3-4 yrs ago not sure if he would be receptive to giving it a try.

Jerry B

Well Known Member
I never worked on a 58 but I have done a few 62s for myself. Bad ground in definitely the most common problem. Also the original grease in them gets hard and does not lube properly. It can also cause the small relay switches to hang up and sometimes cause the gears to jump track. If you have the service manual that has good pictures and diagrams you may be able to fix it yourself. Also need a fair amount of patience. If money isn't an issue, I would probably just send it to one of the recommended repair shops.

Junky

Well Known Member
In my collection of Chevrolet Training Manuals, I have this manual, which I believe is for 1959 or 1960 based on the firewall and switch knob pictures. I just don't know how much difference there is in the unit itself from units produced in prior years or subsequent years. I am planning on cleaning the old grease out of my wiper/washer assembly this winter, since the wipers are sluggish. A friend gave me a motor assembly that he disassembled, and wasn't able to reassemble after he got it apart. I have a box of parts to play with before starting on my own wiper motor. MVC-001L.JPGMVC-002L.JPGMVC-003L.JPG