Does anyone recognize this 64 Impala? 409 with a 5 speed. Used to have dual ladder bars under it.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
https://www.admcars.com/1964-chevrolet-impala-black-409-5-speed-dana-c-136.htm?year=1964&sold=Sold&

Not sure I ever posted this on here before. We sold this 64' 409 powered car a couple years back. I tried to talk them into keeping the Ladder bars but they chopped them off so I put one on my wagon and the other will get mounted on my 2dr sedan possibly. Anyway, its a great car that we sold but never heard more about who owned it before. Does anyone know anything more about the car?

What did the ladder bar look like ......???was it a period piece....???? was it an aftermarket.......????? was it homemade .....????

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
20200708_142012.jpg
1.25 inch square tubing and about 5' 8" long. I have one of them under my wagon now. They came as twins which were connected by a single 1.25x2.5 inch bar in the middle so I took the cut off wheel and surgically removed one. Its twin setting in my 2dr sedan. Based on how it was installed before it was chopped off, someone was serious about racing or paid a good welder to do nice work. The ladders are welded up nice. Weighs a ton, probably 55-65lbs a piece.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That should really help with preventing axle twist changing pinion angle if it is solid mounted to the axle housing,as far as the weight it is on the right end of the car.
Axle can't twist a bit but it also keeps the drive shaft in place too because I have a poly carrier and no slip yoke under it. Ive taken it apart and looked it over. Looks like the ladder bar is working perfectly. Best part is most of the bar is below the rear axle so it keeps the center of gravity in the back and low.