Dome light

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've owned my Biscayne for over 9 years now and since I've owned it, the car has never had a working dome light. I'm doing some interior clean up and decided to finally look into this. There are NO door jam switches or wiring being the kickpanels. Hmm On the driver's side, I can see the rear lamp harness and the pigtail plug that goes to the dome light. But again, no wiring or door jam switches. Baffled, I called Phil Reed to pick his brain.

Is it possible that a totally stripped out Biscayne wouldn't have door-activated door lighting? I am going to replace the headlight switch and the bulb and see if the switch can illuminate the dome light. If it does, I think its safe to say I learned something new! Did Chevrolet charge extra for door-activated dome lights??

2vx4llh.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
I'd have to say they probably didn't have them. I know the plain jane trucks like my 69 stepside came without those. They were included with the higher end packages like CST, Custom & Cheyenne.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry if the pic is sideways for some, its showing correctly on my phone and laptop but sideways on the work computer, go figure. I think you might be right Bob. There is nowhere on the harness in the photo I posted above to even plug in the door jam switch. The harness is stock uncut too

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jason,
Is there a delet plug in the door jamb where the switches would be or, is the door jam just blank, no hole for the switch?:dunno Post a pic of the door jamb.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jason,
Is there a delet plug in the door jamb where the switches would be or, is the door jam just blank, no hole for the switch?:dunno Post a pic of the door jamb.

The holes where the switch could go are there but they are filled with some sort of putty or something. Looks factory. I assume all the jams were exactly the same, just if they got the switches or not.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The holes where the switch could go are there but they are filled with some sort of putty or something. Looks factory. I assume all the jams were exactly the same, just if they got the switches or not.
Jason,
My car has a dome light, but no switches at the door, just the little plugs Dan is talking about. The headlight switch turns it on. My 6 cyl 3 speed Biscayne parts car has the switches in the door jambs... The parts car also has a radio, my good car does not..:dunno
Rick

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My 64 Biscayne, with factory air and steer only has a drivers side door switch, passenger side has no loom or switch but has the hole.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My car has the dome light on the ceiling, just wanted to clarify.

I swapped out the headlight switch but it still doesn't work. Crap. More digging.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I feel like an idiot admitting this but I will. I wasn't thinking and when I pulled the old switch out, I left it hanging under the dash. Replaced the old switch with a new one and tried it. Headlights, parking lights worked great. No dome light.....because it wasn't grounded. Took me about 30 min to realize that, re-install the switch and give it a try. Worked right away. :doh Did I mention I hate electrical? Probably because it makes me look like an idiot....a lot!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you look at your old switch you will most likely see Carrosion on the reastat that turns for the dash lights/dome light. If you clean that most likely it will work fine.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Oh yea I already thought about that Dan. The new switch is working good for now but I never throw away these original GM parts. I'll play around with it this weekend. Might just need to be worked some

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Don't feel bad Jason , I talked to a guy at a mini car show on the week end . He said he could not get the one front signal light to work on a older t bird ,like clyde's. He checked and replace wiring still no workey.He had been fighting that at least two different car show'w i talked to him .He told me he finally found it, no bulb in the socket.:laugh