Don Fezell car Collection for sale at Mecum Auction Jan.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
What is the story with the 61 ss 409?
Says matching numbers. 1 of 142 built etc etc.
Anyone know the car?
Is it for real as I have asked on here before and a genuine 409 ss 61 impala documented seems to be impossible to find.

Steve

Well Known Member
Anyone know the car?
Is it for real as I have asked on here before and a genuine 409 ss 61 impala documented seems to be impossible to find.

Steve
I was thinking the same question

Well Known Member
We'll see if Mecum has the right buyers for some of the most important and historic cars to ever come out of GM

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Anyone know the car?

Steve
I've looked at that car pretty close, I'm sure it is a factory built SS. I'm not sure if that is a 61 409 motor, not saying it isn't but I saw some things that concerned me. I tried every way I could and could not see the block casting number. There is no such thing as a "matching numbers" 61, they didn't stamp the vin in those motors, the closest you can get to a matching number car would be a 623 block with an assembly date that aligned closely with the built date of the body. I asked Don if the car had a 61 motor and he said he "thought it was". I believe he said he had owned the car since 1986. The car isn't red as stated in the ad, it's Honduras Maroon.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I've looked at that car pretty close, I'm sure it is a factory built SS. I'm not sure if that is a 61 409 motor, not saying it isn't but I saw some things that concerned me. I tried every way I could and could not see the block casting number. There is no such thing as a "matching numbers" 61, they didn't stamp the vin in those motors, the closest you can get to a matching number car would be a 623 block with an assembly date that aligned closely with the built date of the body. I asked Don if the car had a 61 motor and he said he "thought it was". I believe he said he had owned the car since 1986. The car isn't red as stated in the ad, it's Honduras Maroon.

Tommy, your opinion of the tach mounted with a screw clamp instead of the threaded mounting holes? Radio delete?

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Tommy, your opinion of the tach mounted with a screw clamp instead of the threaded mounting holes? Radio delete?
Damn, I didn't notice it. The radio delete could be but that tach shouldn't be like that. Those threads in the steering column are kinda fragile, wonder if they stripped out so they put the clamp on it to hold the tach. :dunno2

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The SS trunk emblem seems suspect (fit not right) as do the side emblems seem to thick compared to original. Not saying not an SS but the emblems appear to be like the re pops from the 90's

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don has quite an amazing collection!! He has for years reached out and captured some of the finest muscle cars.

Given he has 4 Z-11's I'm not sure I would "flood" the market at an auction with as many as he has.

To maximize value, it's strange to sell that many at one time at one auction.,

The Strickler car will certainly do well, however others might not fair as well. Kind of like selling off a collection of Cobras, or A990 cars, or anything else in volume.

Now, if Dana Mecum has lined up sufficient buyers as he can, they have quite a selection to chose from.
I have been stalking a Thunderbolt with a Chevrolet tie and would like to talk the guy out of it. (I know that's being a traitor, but wait until you hear the story)

I wish Don the very best!!

On the other hand Pat, these cars are all so significant and rare, they should attract all the big spenders. The last cars sold may go for bigger money, since the buyers who didn't get one of these significant vehicles will have money burning a hole in their pockets and no bragging rights for being able to say they got a car at this auction.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
On the other hand Pat, these cars are all so significant and rare, they should attract all the big spenders. The last cars sold may go for bigger money, since the buyers who didn't get one of these significant vehicles will have money burning a hole in their pockets and no bragging rights for being able to say they got a car at this auction.

Good thought. :)

I'm sure he and Dana Mecum have planned for that. They will get some "heavy" money in the room. Big players like Rick Hendricks or John Stalluppi would certainly create great interest. Whoever they get you could be correct, "I'm bigger than you" will permeate the room.

Hope you are correct for my own selfish reasons:):):)

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Looks like a good auction to be held at a drag strip so they could pair up some of those cars like back in the days.

sixstrings

Don Fezell is a very good friend of mine and the building with his car collection is right behind my home.
I have helped Don take care of his cars for over 25 years and have also gone to Racing with him. I you have any questions you you need answered I will do my best to answer them for you. Also yes that is me standing next to Old Reliable In Don's garage.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Pat, I can drive it back to Dallas for you when you win the auction. It would be my pleasure!
Always looking out for the other guys aren't you, way to go.
For the 2004 Convention, Don brought his 3 Z-11 cars. I was in contact with his car hauler driver in getting to the Expo Center where the cars were parked inside. When he turned the corner to get where I was and I first saw those cars.........I had goose bumps all over my arms knowing the significance of the moment!!! When the truck was parked....the driver told me I could drive them off the transporter!!!:eek3:dropI said I couldn't do that!!! I didn't want the responsibility!! Tom Jacobson was with me..........he said "I WILL"!!!!!!!!!!!!! So Tom drove all 3 cars off the transporter and into the Expo Center and I rode shotgun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My smile was so big I could hardly get my head out of the door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!!

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
For the 2004 Convention, Don brought his 3 Z-11 cars. I was in contact with his car hauler driver in getting to the Expo Center where the cars were parked inside. When he turned the corner to get where I was and I first saw those cars.........I had goose bumps all over my arms knowing the significance of the moment!!! When the truck was parked....the driver told me I could drive them off the transporter!!!:eek3:dropI said I couldn't do that!!! I didn't want the responsibility!! Tom Jacobson was with me..........he said "I WILL"!!!!!!!!!!!!! So Tom drove all 3 cars off the transporter and into the Expo Center and I rode shotgun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My smile was so big I could hardly get my head out of the door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!!

Cool story Phil...........