Don's gone Crazy Stroker, 1966 C-10

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi Everyone!

Little more chipping away today and a couple pics...

Got the PS pump mounted and belt run to the crank. (The "kink" should come come out once we have headers and anchor it).

The problem i cant seem to lick is the belt rubs on the bottom of the water pump pully. I think i had the same problem with Betsy and the last pic here shows how we solved that. We put a double pully on the PS pump and a triple on the crank to avoid all the issues...

Should I do that here or should what we have for parts work with more tinkering?

20181223_165655.jpg20181223_165619.jpg20181223_165643.jpg20181223_165613.jpg

Junky

Well Known Member
Looks good in the pictures. As for the belt rubbing, if you have the room, I would go with the extra pulley. Make life simple, and do what is the easiest. Do you think that you will finish this up this year??? :D Sure hope that you are working inside of a warm garage, because it is very cold outside!

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Everything I have seen in the shop and assembly manual shows the power steering belt going over the water pump so to me the easiest solution is to get a longer belt and route it like the factory did around both the crank and water pump.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Looks good in the pictures. As for the belt rubbing, if you have the room, I would go with the extra pulley. Make life simple, and do what is the easiest. Do you think that you will finish this up this year??? :D Sure hope that you are working inside of a warm garage, because it is very cold outside!

Ha, I wish but were chipping away at it! Yes, in the garage and next week we get out quickjack lift!! Whoohoo

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Awesome call out on the single belt guys!! I was with LA thinking ps to crank but will get a larger belt and try to loop the ps, water pump, and crank together..

Is it then the water pump, crank, and alt on the second belt? That means the water pump is ontwice, is that ok?

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here is a picture I took of a members car on here so I can remember how to set my 62 up with the correct parts when I get that far. The way I think about it the factory wouldn’t waste the money making a 2 grove water pump pulley if there was gonna be issues running 2 belts in it. Even non power steering cars with the w engine still had 2 belts but they had a idler pulley where the power steering pump is.BA5212B5-366E-4D23-BF2A-1343FB65D453.jpeg

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The picture Nate posted above is my 62 Impala SS 409 with all factory 409 deep groove pulleys on the harmonic balancer, and water pump, plus factory 409 PS pump brackets & a original rebuilt factory PS pump with the correct steel pipe connector for the factory PS hoses.
I did switch to an alternator (vs a generator) with a repro 63 / 64 deep groove 409 alternator pulley with a Allan Grove Mounting bracket for the alternator.
  • I went through/ordered all the show cars belts to check fit for size and then used gates belts to fit the PS belt and the Alternator belt so that they clear the pump and line up correctly.
  • I did the same with my friends 62 Impala SS 409 Convertible with factory PS and a factory 409 generator. I have bought and returned gates belts that did not fit (for fitting the factory PS pump for steering box clearance and clearance including proper belt tightening for the alternator or generator )
  • I have lists of the part numbers for “all the gates belts for various lengths to select from” so they fit and allow the generator/alternator belts to tighten and clear the PS pump and to allow the PS belt to clearance for the 3 spoke 409 pump pulley with the steering box.
  • Gates belts come in 1/2 inch to 1 inch increments for length allowing me to select PS, A/C, generator, alternator belts from “from different cars and engines” but not specifically listed in parts books for 409 engines for 1961 to 1965.
Finally I just completed installing just last fall a complete set of belts and pulleys on my 62 SS 409 Convertible with PS and with 62 factory air conditioning using the 63, 64, 65 409 factory A-6 compressor mounting bracket for the engine.
  1. What I determined was that 1963, 1964 ( and I think 65’s) 409 factory air cars that came on 340 HP engines did not use deep groove 409 pulleys.
  2. The factory air pulleys used were standard groove pulleys on the harmonic balancer and water pump ( 3 pulleys were used on the harmonic balancer and 3 pulley’s on water pump).
  3. I purchased 3 harmonic balancer standard groove pulleys from Show cars. The triple standard groove water pump pulleys are one single groove pulley and a dual groove pulley “stacked” that I had ( I have not found the part numbers for them from GM - they are GM pulleys).
  4. The PS pulley used on factory air 409’s was the small block pulley instead of the 3 spoke deep groove 409 pulley
  5. The middle pulleys on the triple pulleys were used for the factory air compressor belt.
  6. I also checked mutilple gates belts to get the right length for a three belts ( PS, alternator, air conditioner compressor). This checking of belt length’s was necessary to get the belts tight and still clear the PS pump and steering box.
  7. I also added a Show Cars shim ( the shims come in different thicknesses) under the triple water pump pulley’s to get the belts to line up.
  8. I added adjustment washers to the factory alternator bracket that is mounted to factory 409 big tube 925/926 - 409 cast iron exhaust manifolds to help with the alternator belt line up.
Paul

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The picture Nate posted above is my 62 Impala SS 409 with all factory 409 deep groove pulleys on the harmonic balancer, and water pump, plus factory 409 PS pump brackets & a original rebuilt factory PS pump with the correct steel pipe connector for the factory PS hoses.
I did switch to an alternator (vs a generator) with a repro 63 / 64 deep groove 409 alternator pulley with a Allan Grove Mounting bracket for the alternator.
  • I went through/ordered all the show cars belts to check fit for size and then used gates belts to fit the PS belt and the Alternator belt so that they clear the pump and line up correctly.
  • I did the same with my friends 62 Impala SS 409 Convertible with factory PS and a factory 409 generator. I have bought and returned gates belts that did not fit (for fitting the factory PS pump for steering box clearance and clearance including proper belt tightening for the alternator or generator )
  • I have lists of the part numbers for “all the gates belts for various lengths to select from” so they fit and allow the generator/alternator belts to tighten and clear the PS pump and to allow the PS belt to clearance for the 3 spoke 409 pump pulley with the steering box.
  • Gates belts come in 1/2 inch to 1 inch increments for length allowing me to select PS, A/C, generator, alternator belts from “from different cars and engines” but not specifically listed in parts books for 409 engines for 1961 to 1965.
Finally I just completed installing just last fall a complete set of belts and pulleys on my 62 SS 409 Convertible with PS and with 62 factory air conditioning using the 63, 64, 65 409 factory A-6 compressor mounting bracket for the engine.
  1. What I determined was that 1963, 1964 ( and I think 65’s) 409 factory air cars that came on 340 HP engines did not use deep groove 409 pulleys.
  2. The factory air pulleys used were standard groove pulleys on the harmonic balancer and water pump ( 3 pulleys were used on the harmonic balancer and 3 pulley’s on water pump).
  3. I purchased 3 harmonic balancer standard groove pulleys from Show cars. The triple standard groove water pump pulleys are one single groove pulley and a dual groove pulley “stacked” that I had ( I have not found the part numbers for them from GM - they are GM pulleys).
  4. The PS pulley used on factory air 409’s was the small block pulley instead of the 3 spoke deep groove 409 pulley
  5. The middle pulleys on the triple pulleys were used for the factory air compressor belt.
  6. I also checked mutilple gates belts to get the right length for a three belts ( PS, alternator, air conditioner compressor). This checking of belt length’s was necessary to get the belts tight and still clear the PS pump and steering box.
  7. I also added a Show Cars shim ( the shims come in different thicknesses) under the triple water pump pulley’s to get the belts to line up.
  8. I added adjustment washers to the factory alternator bracket that is mounted to factory 409 big tube 925/926 - 409 cast iron exhaust manifolds to help with the alternator belt line up.
Paul

Wow, THANK YOU PAUL from me and anyone that needs this info, great resource!!

I'll be adding the extra shim for the WP today, just showed up and measuring for two belts..... Ill let everyone know the sizes once we go through a dozen :>)....

crank => waterpump => power steering pump
crank => waterpump => alternator

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Sorry boys, have been a little side tracked but thinking of y'all.. How about these pics!! Guess where....next week back at it. ,(Wish I would have brought Bob's 348-409 logo, would have been great!)

Attachments

• 20181229_122203.jpg
    20181229_122203.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20181229_114509.jpg
    20181229_114509.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20181229_114458.jpg
    20181229_114458.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20181229_114344.jpg
    20181229_114344.jpg