Don's gone Crazy Stroker, 1966 C-10

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
So like any of you sitting there reading this:ebay, you came here because you're not willing to accept "good enough" :write.. This week, we decided to break out our perfectly good 1966 c-10 truck from that "good enough" place and yank:doh the 1hr old 67 327 with fuelie heads:thud and build a 348-409 1966-c-10 with a Don Jacks engineered :bow409!! :winner

Ok, so you may think we are crazy or not thoughtful of our ride, nope. We built the truck with all the bells and whistles for a replacement plant sometime way down the road. In fact, I promised Jeanne that we wouldn't see that day for a long time:dunno2. Well, forgiveness is virtue and told her we bought a block and seemed perfect ok with that. Actually, that's not completely true, she immediately reminded me she needed a sports watch to even things out.. Now, i might be dumb but stupid I aint, we did leave out the other little detail, its way to Carl McQuillens shop for machining and excited to see what Don, Bob W, and Carl come up with. :taunt I aint saying a word till it shows up and will beg forgiveness using my virtue card...

Avery and I will be doing the work to prep the truck and if anyone has ever put one in a c-10, we'd love the advice and the reason were here. Some things are simply over our heads, but willing to tackle just about anything. Were prepping the remaining items on the list to get it all together for a straight shot from our home here in NH to meet in Bowling Green, run it for the races, and cruise back!!

Here's a list so far so if anything needs changing or doesn't meet spec, please let us know. Its a 349-409 build, so chew it up. The goal is to build what we would have wanted the factory to send out in 1966 for a high performance c-10. We dont want to see any flashy modern things, but as you can see, the underside is chock-full of new high-tech. Well post pics as soon as we can, heres a few to get the idea...

Already installed

Ride-Tech Air Ride Level 3 Suspension
Willwood 6 Piston Disc front, 4 Piston rear.
Currie Ford 9" rear (see spec)
TKO 600 (see spec) - Not sure if its too short in 1st?

Need help...

Headers - Well need help building a set of headers
Fuel Tank - Need to weld in a fuel pump, any advice besides drain first, ha!
Bench seat - Jeanne wants the (the death trap) to have new leather on the bench seat. Hoping for someone that knows rawhide, distressed stuff. Anyone know someone who can do custom leather bench?
Cold air induction - Love to have a "period correct" air induction set up. Has to look like it would have been in 1966...Maybe a z-11 knockoff?

Attachments

• suspension.JPG
    suspension.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 94
  • trans.JPG
    trans.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 95
  • rearend.JPG
    rearend.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 20171202_175242.jpg
    20171202_175242.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 20171202_175200.jpg
    20171202_175200.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 20171202_175141.jpg
    20171202_175141.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 129
  • 20171202_175342.jpg
    20171202_175342.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 20171202_175256.jpg
    20171202_175256.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 106

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Carl might,but the dual throttle body FAST unit on top of one of Carl's intakes is going to be very cool looking,and make more power than you'll ever be able to use,at about half the price.I was looking at the spec sheet for the rear,no posi? Oh,and if there isn't a drive shaft loop under that truck,add that to the list.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Very nice. I'll be following for sure. I've been thinking about a C10 as a first vehicle for my son. They're still reasonable around here. For now anyways.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Jim Sullivan and I are talking about Z-11 air cleaner units,I like things hidden from sight when the hood is closed.The "Sleeper" look if you will.Cold intake air would be a must for this power plant.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Carl might,but the dual throttle body FAST unit on top of one of Carl's intakes is going to be very cool looking,and make more power than you'll ever be able to use,at about half the price.I was looking at the spec sheet for the rear,no posi? Oh,and if there isn't a drive shaft loop under that truck,add that to the list.

Rear-end should be posi but not seeing it there means we have to check. Its on jacks now, is there a way to check? If not, when we get the brakes done we can go out and "test" with a burnout :>)

The loop, I think this is what you mean. Heres what we have now, had to make one when we left the 3 on the tree. Does this work?

The FI, super excited about the Carl setup. Figured now's the time to see if there's a "friend connection" and shot in hell for the Hillborn stuff. SEMA Hall a Fame stuff, big dream.

Attachments

• 20171216_084126.jpg
    20171216_084126.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 68

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The NHRA/IHRA rules require one about 6 inches from the rear of the transmission.As to the posi,with the wheels off the ground,trans out of gear rotate one rear wheel while watching he other.If the wheel is turning in the same direction as the wheel being rotated,it's a posi,if it goes in the opposite direction,it's open.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The NHRA/IHRA rules require one about 6 inches from the rear of the transmission.As to the posi,with the wheels off the ground,trans out of gear rotate one rear wheel while watching he other.If the wheel is turning in the same direction as the wheel being rotated,it's a posi,if it goes in the opposite direction,it's open.

Yes, verified were Posi!! Just dragged Jeanne to the basement and rotated one side and the other mirrored the motion...:winner

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I just spoke with Carl regarding the Hilborn,and he's not a big fan.That makes 2 of us,so that's out as far as I'm concerned.I think that I've settled on the cam.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I just spoke with Carl regarding the Hilborn,and he's not a big fan.That makes 2 of us,so that's out as far as I'm concerned.I think that I've settled on the cam.

Id be fighting for a seat in a spaceship with a bunch of folks from here if you two designed it so its out and probably best, I can keep my favorite shop shirt :winner.. Sounds like Carls and a Fast EFI?? Awesome news on the cam, which one??

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
231 intake,239ex.@.050,.600 lift with 1.7 rockers,112 lsa,106 icl.We've got to spread out the torque curve to help crusing at 21-23 hundred at 70 mph.The cams a Lunati hyd.roller.Remenber that this is a daily driver street engine.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
231 intake,239ex.@.050,.600 lift with 1.7 rockers,112 lsa,106 icl.We've got to spread out the torque curve to help crusing at 21-23 hundred at 70 mph.The cams a Lunati hyd.roller.Remenber that this is a daily driver street engine.

Love it, and much easier to adjust :crazy.. I'll ping joe now to see if the blocks on its way to Carl....

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Joe pinged and will have a tracking number in hand for us tomorrow, good guy.. Made a bit of progress on the inside with avery tonight Put the new tunnel in and started laying out the dedner. Those weld nuts hold the cover super tight, highly recommend...

Will start to tidy up the cab and need to find a local shop to re-do the bench.

K

Attachments

• 20171218_203817.jpg
    20171218_203817.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 89

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
WHOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!! The eagle has landed, block just hit Carls place!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAAAAAA BABY! THANKS JOE!!

Can you tell were a little excited to give another life to a 409 and put it back on the streets! Loud and proud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And to think Santa only seems to usually give me socks, HA!...MERRY CHRSTMAS! More updates coming)

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Do you think you can make it to Bowling Green and run with us?

Hi Bryan!! We sure hope so and were right on the razors edge. Kids school ends on the 12th as it sits so if we don't have too many more snow days, were in! Jeannes pumped, already put in for it (shes a nurse in a bos ICU) and if the stars align, were cannon-balling down there. Its 1114 miles each way and can't think of a better trip.

From here out, were working on bugs and prepping both vehicles for it. I do have a nice 27 foot trailer and could pull with our tundra, but man o man, wouldn't that be cool to see the c-10 leading betsy down the highway, ha! Might need some volunteer drivers, :>)...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 42